Gifts by Americans to Carleton University

Under the Canada-United States Income Tax Convention, a citizen or resident of the United States is entitled to a charitable deduction for gifts to a Canadian university, provided he or she or a family member is or was enrolled. (Family member includes, spouse, children, grandchildren, parents and siblings.) If you are an alum or a family member then you can plan your donation directly to Carleton University. If these conditions do not apply to you, or you are currently planning a gift of assets from IRA’s or the full spectrum of Charitable Trusts, those gifts should be made to our affiliated U.S. foundation:

Carleton University Foundation (U.S.). The foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt public charity recognized under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.  Carleton University Foundation (U.S.) Tax Exempt ID number is 52-1970455.
Cheques made to Carleton University Foundation (U.S.) should be mailed to:

1455 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20004

Tax-Free Distributions to Charity from IRAs Now Available

For those who are 70 ½ or older, any amount up to $100,000 may be distributed tax-free from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to the Carleton University Foundation (U.S.). This amount can count toward your required minimum distribution for the year in which the distribution is made. Although these distributions are not deductible as charitable contributions on your income tax return, they affect your taxes because they are not treated as taxable income to you.

Click here to learn more!

Please contact the Personal and Planned Giving Team at or 613-520-3636 if you have any questions.