Postdoctoral fellows are appointed by faculty members at Carleton University. If you are interested in becoming a postdoctoral fellow, please check out the job postings on our Job Opportunities page, or contact a faculty member directly to express your interest and see if there is any availability. Faculty members should follow the steps below to appoint a candidate for a postdoctoral fellowship. Any questions about the appointment process can be directed to the Postdoctoral Fellow Coordinator.
How to Appoint a Postdoctoral Fellow
- The Sponsoring Faculty Member completes the Postdoc Appointment Form. Note: Those in the Faculty of Engineering & Design will also need to complete the Engineering Postdoc Space Form.
- The Postdoctoral Fellow Coordinator, located in the Office of the Deputy Provost, receives the form and begins the appointment process.
- If the postdoc is international, the Coordinator initiates the application process for a work permit.
- The Coordinator drafts an official Letter of Offer and sends it to the postdoc.
- The postdoc then reviews and signs the letter to accept the terms.
- The PDF Coordinator then forwards these documents to Payroll in Human Resources (HR). The postdoc will need to visit HR (507 Robertson Hall) to be documented during their first week of work.
NOTE: Postdoc ending their contract early? Please send an email to the Postdoc Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org detailing the postdoc’s last day of work.