U-Pass: Summer Term Information
As of April 18th full-time undergraduate degree students who are registered in 1.0 credit and “full-time” graduate students will be eligible for the Summer Universal Transit Pass or the U-Pass. Key information concerning the Summer UPass is as follows:
- 71% of 8,529 undergraduate and special students voted for the Summer U-Pass, while 78% of 474 graduate students voted for the Summer U-Pass
- Any undergraduate or special student who registers in 1.0 credit at any point during the Summer Term will be required to pay $192.70 + $4.26 administrative fee, if they are eligible for the Summer U-Pass on or before May 14. After this date, the cost of the U-Pass is pro-rated.
- Graduate students who are designated full-time will be required to pay $192.70 + $4.26 administrative fee.
- Special Students who register in 1.0 credit over the summer will be required to pay for the Summer U-Pass
- When using OC Transpo, the Summer U-Pass will operate identically to the Fall-Winter U-Pass
- Students will be able to opt-out of the Summer U-Pass as per the current opt-out process
- Should an undergraduate student complete 1.0 credit during early session of the Summer Term, the student will be required to pay for the Summer U-Pass in full. Upon completing 1.0 credit, you will not be able to return your U-Pass even if you are leaving the Ottawa-region.
- If an undergraduate student registers in 1.0 Summer Term credit at any point in March, April, or at any point during early part of the Summer Term, the will be assessed the full cost of the Summer UPass even if the student’s courses do not start until mid to late summer.
- Students who drop under 1.0 credit at any point during the Summer Term are required to return their U-Pass to the Campus Card Office as they are no longer eligible for the U-Pass
- The Summer U-Pass will be valid from May 1stto August 31st
- Summer U-Pass will be pre-produced by the Campus Card Office. Once you are registered in 1.0 credits you will be able to pick up your Summer U-Pass at the Campus Card Office as of April 18th
- Note that the standard terms and conditions of the U-Pass apply to the Summer U-Pass. If you are new to the U-Pass or would like to re-familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions, please visit:http://carleton.ca/upass
Note that the standard terms and conditions of the U-Pass apply to the Summer U-Pass. If you are new to the U-Pass or would like to re-familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions, please review the rest of this page and/or review our Frequently Asked Questions page.
U-Pass Terms and Conditions
Prior to the beginning of the Fall and Summer Term, every full-time Carleton student has access to the new Universal Transit Pass or the U-Pass. Please familiarize yourself with the Terms and Conditions of the U-Pass.
- The cost of the U-Pass is $385.40 plus a $4.26 admin fee for a total fee of $389.66 for the the 2015-16 academic year and $192.70 plus a $4.26 admin fee for the Summer term.
- The pass provides ridership privileges throughout the designated validity period shown, and is subject to availability of equipment and service.
- The pass must be presented to uniformed OC Transpo employees, OC Transpo Enforcement Officers and police officers in an open and unrestricted manner upon demand.
- To be valid the pass must show no signs of tampering.
- The pass is valid as payment of the full fare on OC Transpo vehicles providing regular, express, rural express, or Para Transpo transit services. Para Transpo service to rural zones requires an additional fare.
- Passes are NON-TRANSFERABLE, and are STRICTLY PERSONAL.
- Invalid or misused passes will be confiscated and/or a Provincial Offence Notice will be issued. Fines range from $100 to $700.
Students who fail to comply may be subject to fines by OC Transpo and to sanctions under the Student Rights and Responsibility policy.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or comments.
In order to be eligible for the U-Pass, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Registered as a full-time (3.0 credits or more) student during the academic term, Fall or Winter term (1.5 credits or more) and 1.0 credit in the Summer term.
- Student registered with the Paul Menton Centre with less than 1.5 credits.
- An incoming foreign exchange student.
- A student participating in co-op work program.
All eligible students will be assessed the U-Pass fee.
You are not eligible for the U-Pass in a given semester if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Registered as or becomes a part-time student.
- Withdraw completely from Carleton University.
You may be assessed the U-Pass fee regardless of your status as ineligible as per the above criteria. In some cases, a student must self-identify and/or return their U-Pass prior to a fee adjustment being processed. Please follow the process that applies to you below.
Becoming Part-Time or Withdrawing After Picking Up the U-Pass
If you are no longer eligible for the U-Pass because you drop down to part-time status, withdraw from the term entirely or have graduated, you are not entitled to the U-Pass and you should return your pass immediately to the Campus Card Office, room 407 University Centre. Regardless of when you return your U-Pass you will be entitled to a pro-rated fee adjustment that reflects the length of time you had the pass in your possession. Please review the pro-rated fee adjustment table in order to determine the amount that you will receive.
If you become a part-time student or withdraw from your courses entirely and you hold on to the U-Pass you are contravening the terms and conditions of the U-Pass and if you are caught using your U-Pass by OC Transpo enforcement officers you may be subject to a fine along with the immediate confiscation of your U-Pass.
Fee adjustments cannot be processed without providing your U-Pass (if picked up) along with the opt out application form, to Office of Student Affairs.
Important change for students living in the STO (Gatineau) area:
Starting in September 2015, students living in Gatineau will be able to use their discounted student bus pass on both sides of the river as
OC Transpo and STO, the Gatineau bus service provider, have reached an agreement to expand the service. This change to the UPass was agreed to and supported by CUSA and GSA who have been attending the ongoing discussions with OC Transpo over summer 2015 to renew the UPass agreement between Carleton and OC Transpo.
The discounted U-Pass is included in full-time tuition fees for students Carleton University. In previous years students who lived outside of service zones, including Quebec had the option to opt out of the UPASS. All other UPass opt-out options remain in effect.
Further information on each of the Opt-Out categories can be found at: carleton.ca/upass/opt-out/
Eligible students may qualify to Opt-Out of the U-Pass program and receive a full or partial fee adjustment. In order to be considered for a fee adjustment, a student must:
A: Meet one of the following Opt-Out criteria
- Resides outside of the OC Transpo Service Area
- Participates in a cooperative work program for at least one (1) Term;
- Studies outside of Canada and/or participates in an outgoing international exchange for more than 60 days per Term;
- Participates in an internship, or conducts research, outside of the City of Ottawa for more than 60 days per Term as part of his or her studies;
- Registered exclusively as an on-line student (CUOL)
- Holds a valid U-Pass issued from another post-secondary institution located within the City of Ottawa;
- Is registered with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind; or,
- A Para Transpo Registrant who is residing in the Rural Transit Area-Area A who shows satisfactory proof of being a Para Transpo Registrant and who shows satisfactory proof of residency in Rural Transit Area – Area A;
- Other disability – this exemption will be done on a case by case basis.
B: Have submitted an Opt-Out Application Form to the Office of Student Affairs, 430 Tory Building, with appropriate supporting documentation,
C: Have either never picked up a U-Pass or have returned it with their completed Opt-Out Application Form to Office of Student Affairs, 430 Tory Building, where their refund will be pro-rated depending on the return date.
Opt-Out forms can be found at: carleton.ca/upass/opt-out/.
If you were eligible for and picked up the U-Pass in the Fall Term and will no longer be eligible in the Winter Term, you can receive a 100% fee adjustment for the Winter Term portion of the U-Pass ($192.70). You will need to return your U-Pass and the required form by January 14, 2016. You will receive a pro-rated refund of the U-Pass Fee if your U-Pass and the required form are returned after January 14th, 2016. To receive a full refund from the Summer term, you would would need to return your U-Pass by May 14, 2016.