On 11 April 2019 the ALiGN Media Lab held a “Public Sector Writing” at the School of Journalism and Communication Studies, Carleton University.
Organized by Ghadah Alrasheed (Postdoctoral Fellow, ALIGN Media Lab, Carleton University) and Aden Dur-e-Aden (PhD Candidate, Department of Political Science, University of Toronto), the workshop was led by 4 presenters* who have first-hand experiences in public sector writing.
- Suzanne Waldman (Research Analyst, Defence Research and Development Canada’s Centre for Security Science)
- Brianna Botchwey (PhD Candidate, Department of Political Science, University of Toronto)
- Analyst, Government of Canada
- Batoul Hreiche (Policy Analyst, Public Safety Canada).
This 3-hour workshop was attended by undergraduate and graduate students from different departments, who are interested in working for the public sector or in learning how to influence and communicate more efficiently with policy makers. During the workshop, the presenters introduced the students to different types of writing products needed for work within any government department agency: policy papers, briefing notes, slide decks, and public communications. The participants were engaged in interactive activities to help them apply the knowledge and skills they have received from the presenters and were provided with feedback by the presenters to improve their public sector writing skills.
* All of the presenters attended in their personal capacity, not as representatives of their organizations or government departments.