Work Study Information for Students
Application and Eligibility
The Work Study Program is a financial aid program funded by Carleton University. Students must apply to participate in the Work Study Program each year and be approved by the Awards Office before they can be hired.
Funding and space in the program is limited and applications are assessed on a first-come-first-served basis. It is important for you to complete and submit your application as soon as possible. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The Work Study Application can be found on Carleton Central under Student Services, Awards and Financial Assistance:
- Undergraduate Online Application Forms: Undergraduate bursaries/awards, other financial aid applications (e.g. OSAP Summer Extension Form, Work Study etc). Check application status
Please note: The application for 2022-2023 will be available as of September 1, 2022.
The following requirements must be met to be eligible for the program:
- Must be applying and receiving student assistance for the fall/winter session (e.g. OSAP/loans, government student aid/loans from another province)
- Must demonstrate financial need as determined by the Awards Office
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. A limited number of international students may also participate in the program subject to the availability of funds
- Must be in an undergraduate degree program and remain registered in 60% of a full course load (1.5 credits per term) or 40% of a full course load (1.0 credit per term) for students with disabilities registered with the Paul Menton Centre
- Must be making satisfactory academic progress
Student Approval Communication Process
- Please monitor the status of your application on Carleton Central and check your Carleton email regularly for information regarding your Work Study application.
- Students who are approved to participate in the program will be instructed to retrieve and print their Certificate of Approval from Carleton Central.
Applying to Work Study Positions
- Students who have been approved to participate in the program will be able to view and apply to Work Study Jobs posted on the mySuccess portal via Carleton Central (only students with a valid Certificate of Approval will be given access to view Work Study Jobs at the student dashboard Work Study side menu).
- Career Services offers resume review sessions to provide feedback on resumes and help you get your resume ready to apply for Work Study positions. Contact the Career Services office in 401 Tory Building, Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm for a resume review.
Types of Jobs Available
- Jobs include working in the library and academic departments and in various areas within student services. Work study job postings are limited to internal Carleton employers. You may even work in an area related to your field of study.
Amount of Money you can Earn
- As a participant in the Work Study Program, you may work up to a maximum of 192 hours for the work study period and earn up to a maximum of $3,100 for the fall/winter session. The work study hourly wage is $15.50/hour plus vacation pay.
Other Jobs at Carleton
Visit the Career Services website for more information.
401 Tory Building
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
Telephone: (613) 520-6611