Member, CEE Advisory Committee, and CEO ClimateCHECK
|Degrees:||BA University of Waterloo; B.Eng. M.Eng. Carleton University|
Tom Baumann (www.linkedin.com/in/tombaumann) has over 20 years’ experience at the rapidly evolving confluence of sustainability and innovation. He has worked with hundreds of organizations in the climate, cleantech and sustainability space. Since 2007, Tom has launched 7 start ups and has led many multi-stakeholder global initiatives. Tom is a globally-recognized authority in the digital and sustainability space and was recognized in 2019 as a Top 100 Fintech for SDG Influencer. Tom is also:
- Founder and co-chair of the Climate Chain Coalition – an open global multi-stakeholder network of 200 organizations in 50 countries focused on advancing blockchain and related digital solutions to enhance climate actions. The CCC is co-chaired with the UN Climate Change Secretariat.
- Co-founder of digital start-ups, including Collaborase, ScribeHub, DigitalMRV and also Xpansiv, which merged with CBL Markets to form XCHG.
- Co-founder of Adaptation Ledger, combining digital, governance and financial innovations to help scale actions to adapt to the impacts of climate change.
- Climate lead at the Blockchain Research Institute, and has also co-authored leading reports on digital solutions for climate for the World Bank and ITU.
- Co-chair of the INATBA Climate Action Working Group (International Association for Trusted Blockchain Applications).
- Co-chair of the Hyperledger SIG for Climate Action & Accounting
- Member of the InterWork Alliance
- Member of the ITU Focus Group on Environmental Efficiency for AI and other Emerging Technologies
- Former international chair (2014-2019) of ISO’s climate change standards committee (80 countries) as well as chair (2009-2014) of IEEE’s climate change technology committee.
- Co-founder of the GHG Management Institute as the global society of GHG professionals (over 7000 members in 160 countries).
- Co-founder and CEO of ClimateCHECK, a professional services company specialized in innovative solutions and assurance for climate and cleantech. Tom is currently leading projects on Digital MRV (IoT, advanced data systems, distributed ledger technology) and MRV Innovations with 20 countries.
Previously, Tom worked as a Canada Country Lead for the largest global GHG certification company, and as Chief of MRV in a climate technology fund where he developed the standard for due diligence that is used by Sustainable Development Technology Canada. Tom has a degree in environmental economics and completed graduate studies in climate change economics. Tom also has degrees in environmental engineering, and completed graduate studies specializing in GHG measurement, air pollution and clean technologies. Tom is a certified knowledge manager and registered professional engineer.