Mitacs is pleased to launch another thematic call in cooperation with several of our international partners. This is a competitive call for applications to our Mitacs Globalink Research Award program in all areas of strategic importance for the Canadian and international research communities.
Under the joint supervision of a home and host professor at a university in Canada and an institution affiliated with one of Mitacs’s international partners, senior undergraduate and graduate students as well as postdoctoral fellows included in successful applications will receive a $6,000 research award to conduct a 12- to 24-week research project in the other country. Eligibility criteria may vary between participating international partners.
The themes include but are not limited to the list below. Please note that there is a great deal of scope under the open theme social and scientific innovation, all kind of projects can be submitted under that specific theme:
1) Advanced computing (e.g. AI and Quantum technologies, Robotics, Cybersecurity)
2) Clean technologies (e.g. electric vehicles)
3) Global Health (e.g. biomanufacturing)
4) Open theme: Social and scientific innovation
Value and Duration
The award provides CAD$6,000 to cover travel and accommodations or research expenses. The research trips must be between 12 and 24 weeks.
- Must be registered as full-time senior undergraduates, graduate students, or postdoctoral fellows at a Canadian university or at an eligible university or institution outside Canada and remain as such throughout their Globalink Research Award. Postdoctoral fellows may apply if their date of graduation from a PhD program is no more than five years prior to the proposed start date of the research project.
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree
- For participants travelling from Canada: cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship (unless they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada)
- Must be the legal age of majority in Canada (18 years of age or older)
- Must meet travel requirements for their intended destination, including visa and/or immigration requirements and associated documentation
- Cannot hold more than one Globalink Research Award per academic lifetime
- Cannot have previously held a Mitacs-JSPS Summer Program award
- Must hold a faculty position at an eligible institution
- Must be eligible to supervise graduate students
- Supervisors at Canadian institutions: Must be eligible to hold Tri-Agency funding
- Supervisors outside of Canadian institutions: Must be affiliated to an eligible partner
Eligible international partners are in the following countries and regions: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, Mexico, South Africa, Taiwan, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom (new partnership)
Professors can submit projects by November 17, 2023,
How to Apply
Here’s our two-step application process for professors:
- Fill out our eligibility form and get in touch with a Mitacs advisor
- After clearing the eligibility check, apply through the GRA application portal: link will be shared after the eligibility form is completed
Please visit the Mitacs GRA Thematic Call for application details.
Applications can be submitted through your local Mitacs representative.
Mitacs is pleased to be collaborating with the following international partners in this thematic call for applications. For more information on the participating international partners and their specific eligibility requirements, go to the “International partners information” tab.
- Argentina/Brazil/Chile/Colombia/Mexico/Ukraine: Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF)
- Australia: Universities Australia
- Brazil: Fundação Araucária
- France: Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS)
- France: Embassy of France in Canada
- France: Institut national de recherche en sciences et technologies du numérique (Inria)
- France: Université de Lorraine
- Germany: Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) (Helmholtz Association)
- Germany: Forschungszentrum Jülich (Helmholtz Association)
- Germany/USA/Luxembourg/Italy/The Netherlands: Max Planck Society
- Japan: National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
- Korea: National Research Foundation (NRF)
- South Africa: National Research Foundation
- Taiwan: National Cheng Kung University (NCKU)
- United Kingdom: British High Commission Ottawa
For a complete list of the extensive number of institutions that are eligible in each country, please visit the Mitacs website here and click on the tab “International Partners and Specific Eligibility”. Eligible institutions for each country are listed under the Mitacs partner.
For more details: join our GRA: Thematic info session >
Tuesday, September 19, 2023
2:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. ET
- Who’s attending?
This is intended for the offices of research services and international offices, colleagues, and interested professors.
International Projects Coordinator