Visiting Scholar Program
Carleton University is pleased to host over 150 International Visiting Professors, Scholars and Student Researchers (visiting scholars) annually who engage in meaningful research collaborations in a wide range of fields enhancing Carleton’s research capacity to engage internationally. To read about some of our past Visiting Scholars experiences, please click here. Carleton International coordinates the arrival of visiting scholars by officializing their temporary affiliation and offering visa advice and information.
Carleton University will resume in-person visits of visiting scholars on a case by case basis beginning January 2022 if they comply with the University’s travel advisory, the research cannot be done remotely, and permission of the Dean has been granted.
Before planning an in-person visit please carefully review, Visiting Scholars to Carleton- Covid-19 Pandemic information.
Virtual research visits allow visiting researchers to conduct research from their home country either prior to, or as an alternative to an in-person visit. We are currently accepting and processing applications for virtual research visits.
How To Become A Visiting Scholar
Visiting Scholar identifies a Carleton faculty member host
All Visiting Scholars must have a Carleton faculty host. To learn about our faculty members’ research interests, please browse through by Department or visit Our Research page and contact a faculty member with a request to host your visit. Once the Visiting Scholar and Carleton faculty host agree upon the details of the visit, the Visiting Scholar Request form can be completed.
How to complete the Visiting Scholar Request Form (Research Only)
- Visiting Scholar completes Sections A, B, and C of the attached form and provides Yvonne.Clevers@carleton.ca with the following documents (as applicable):
a) copy of the notice of award (if externally funded)
b) copy of proof of enrollment in home program or institution (if a student abroad)
- Carleton faculty Host completes Sections D, E, F and G and forwards an electronic copy to the Chair/Director, along with a copy of the CV of the Visiting Scholar for the Chair/Director’s approval
- Department Chair/ School Director forwards the completed Visiting Scholar Request Form to the Dean’s office for approval. The Dean’s office returns the signed form to Yvonne.Clevers@carleton.ca
Carleton International processes requests for the following visiting scholars who wish to conduct research only:
- Visiting Student Researchers: Those enrolled at an academic program in an institution abroad.
- Visiting Faculty Member: Those holding permanent academic positions abroad.
- Visiting Post Docs: Those enrolled in a post doc program abroad.
Visiting Scholars are not enrolled in an academic program at Carleton and when appointed, they will hold affiliate status at Carleton University and thus are not eligible to register in courses unless done so as a fee paying special student.
|Please note that a minimum of three months’ notice for Visiting Scholars requests is required. This allows for internal approvals from the Academic Heads and sufficient immigration processing times.|
What Happens Next Once Accepted
Carleton International issues an institutional letter of invitation by email, which includes terms and conditions of the research visit. In addition, it offers instructions on how to apply for entry to Canada and immigration advising. Carleton International will also arrange for a Carleton ID number and campus card for the Visiting Scholar’s use upon arrival so that they may have access to our Library or departmental resources for research as the host faculty member and researcher have agreed upon. The departmental administrator will be responsible for arranging wireless and computing access for the Visiting Scholar upon arrival.
For any questions, please contact:
International Research Agreements and Mobility Coordinator
Phone: 613-520-2600 x 2511
|Note: All international visiting appointments must comply with Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requirements for entry to and residence in Canada. More specifically, all international visiting appointees at Carleton must hold the necessary authorization from Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to enter and stay in Canada during the period of their appointment and must abide by the terms and conditions therein. It is the sole responsibility of the visiting appointees to ensure that immigration documentation is valid, up-to-date, accurate, and truthful and to maintain their status. All visiting appointments must comply with Carleton’s Visiting Appointments Policy.|
- Visiting Scholars to Carleton- Covid-19 Pandemic
- Virtual Visiting Scholar Program (New): To learn about conducting short-term research at Carleton virtually.
- Visiting Appointment (teaching): please contact Norah.Vollmer@carleton.ca
- Postdoctoral Fellow Appointment: please contact Alyssa.Laird@carelton.ca
- Internationalization at Home
- Research Mobility Programs
- Student Research Mobility