How to Be a University Student
August 14 – 18, 2023
Academic Prep is a five-day, on-campus course for incoming university students who want a strong start in their university studies.
A blend of lectures, readings, and workshops teach students evidence-based strategies for success in university. We emphasize building sustainable academic skills and habits that you can keep growing throughout your education.
You will will apply your new knowledge daily through in-person, interactive workshops led by skilled upper-year university students.
- Study skills and habits assessment
- How to form and maintain habits for success
- Student mental health: Managing stress & building resiliency
- How learning works I: Learning styles and other learning myths
- How learning works II: CIDERS for success
- Advanced goal setting: What’s a WOOP?
- Metacognition: The ultimate study skill
- Collaboration skills for higher education
- (Arts students) Reading & writing for university: How to adapt to any writing assignment
- (Science student) Conceptual problem-solving: Beyond plug & chug
After the course
This is more than just a week-long course! We offer structure and accountability throughout your first year of university.
- Optional group sessions in the Fall and Winter semesters. Reconnect with your peers, discuss your academic progress, and get support with adapting your skills to your current classes.
- Optional one-on-one academic coaching for individualized support.