2017/18 Carleton University Board of Governors Award for Outstanding Community Achievement
The Board of Governors has established an annual award entitled “The Carleton University Board of Governors Award for Outstanding Community Achievement”.
This award recognizes the spirit of student volunteerism and substantial community contribution while at Carleton University.
The award recognizes voluntary involvement and is intended primarily to honour non-academic work. Nominees/applicants must be successfully pursuing a full-time program of study, in a graduating class at Carleton University and be in Good Academic Standing. Preference will be given to all graduate and undergraduate nominees/applicants with an overall CGPA of 7 (B-) or higher, in a graduating class.
Individuals may be nominated for this award by:
- A member of the external community;
- A member of the faculty/staff;
- A fellow student;
- The student him/herself.
A cash award in the amount of $2,000 will be awarded to the recipient.
Nominations and applications for the award shall be considered by a jury convened for that purpose.
The recipient of the award is selected based on the following factors:
- leadership in and substantial contributions to the Carleton University community while balancing the demands of student life;
- academic excellence and potential for future personal and professional growth and achievement;
- exemplary service to Carleton University, fellow students and/or the community-at-large;
- a spirit of volunteerism and community service demonstrated through active, unpaid involvement in and contributions to the community, while as a student at Carleton University;
- a record of exceptional commitment and leadership at Carleton University that inspires others to engage in volunteer service;
- the recipient must be expecting to graduate in the academic year 2017/18.
- the recipient cannot be a current board member.
All nominations/applications must include:
- A statement of no more than 250 words, written by the nominee, describing how their involvement has made a significant difference to social, environmental or philanthropic aspects of the Carleton University community.
- A resume, no longer than 2 pages in length, that is focused specifically on volunteer experience;
- Two letters of reference, one of which should be from a supervisor of one of their volunteer activities;
- The student’s full name, student number, mailing and/or email address, and telephone number.
All nominations/applications must be submitted by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or in person to the University Secretariat, Room 607 Robertson Hall, no later than 4:30 pm on February 19th, 2018. The presentation of the award will take place at Convocation.
Composition of the Board Award Jury
- Chair or Vice-Chair or designate of the Board of Governors, as Chair of the Jury
- Chair or Vice-Chair or designate of the CR&A Committee
- One Faculty Representative
- One Staff Representative
- One Undergraduate Student Representative
- One Graduate Student Representative