Board of Governors Award for Outstanding Community Achievement
The Carleton University Board of Governors Award for Outstanding Community Achievement is an annual award that recognizes the spirit of student volunteerism and substantial community contribution while at Carleton University.
The award recognizes voluntary involvement and is intended primarily to honour non-academic work. Nominees/applicants must be successfully pursuing a full-time program of study, in a graduating class at Carleton University and be in Good Academic Standing. Preference will be given to all graduate and undergraduate nominees/applicants with an overall CGPA of 7 (B-) or higher, in a graduating class.
Individuals may be nominated for this award by:
- A member of the external community
- A member of the faculty/staff
- A fellow student
- The student him/herself
A cash award in the amount of $2,000 will be awarded to the recipient.
Nominations and applications for the award shall be considered by a jury convened for that purpose.
Application deadline is March 24, 2023.
The recipient of the award is selected based on the following factors:
- The recipient must be expecting to graduate in the academic year 2022/23 (June or Nov. convocation).
- Leadership in and substantial contributions to the Carleton University community while balancing the demands of student life.
- Academic excellence and potential for future personal and professional growth and achievement.
- Exemplary service to Carleton University, fellow students and/or the community-at-large.
- A spirit of volunteerism and community service demonstrated through active, unpaid involvement in and contributions to the community, while a student at Carleton University.
- A record of exceptional commitment and leadership at Carleton University that inspires others to engage in volunteer service.
- The recipient cannot be a current board member.
Sept. 20, 2022: Advancement and University Relations Committee appoints the jury.
Nov. 29, 2022: Board Office issues a Call for Nominations through various internal and external media.
March 24, 2023: Deadline for receipt of nominations.
April 2023: Jury to review applicants and identify a successful nominee.
April 20, 2023: Advancement and University Relations Committee receives the Jury’s recommendation.
April 27, 2023: Board of Governors receives a report from Advancement and University Relations Committee on the recommended recipient.
June/Nov. 2023: Presentation of Award at Convocation and news feature in Carleton Grad Stories.
Congratulations to Valentina Vera Gonzalez who is the 2022 recipient of the Board of Governors Award for Outstanding Community Achievement!
For more information regarding the award or the application process, please contact the Amanda Goth, University Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org