Assistant Professor; Undergraduate Supervisor
|Degrees:||B.Sc. (Architecture), B. Architecture (McGill), M.Sc. Planning – Conservation of the Built Environment (Montreal)|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 4033|
|Office:||1218 Dunton Tower|
Teaching and research areas
Sustainable heritage conservation; modern and industrial heritage; urban cultural landscapes; heritage policy and practices in Canada; urban housing and environmental histories; landscapes of water supply; heritage values and waste; building deterioration, deconstruction and re-use. See also below for more detail.
New research website WASTE HERITAGE
Symposium announcement Oct.26-28, 2018 Heritage in Reverse: Material Values, Waste and Deconstruction
- CDNS 5402 Heritage Conservation II: Theory in Practice (Fall 2018).
- CDNS 2400 Heritage Conservation in Canada (Winter 2019)
- CDNS 4400 Cultural Landscapes and Identity in Canada (Winter 2019)
Recent events and publications
- Report (scientific committee, case study contributor): Douet, J. (2018).The Water Industry as World Heritage, Thematic Study. Barcelona: TICCIH.
- Lecture at TICCIH thematic conference The International Heritage of the Water Industry, Barcelona (2018): “Storing treated water in the historic urban landscape: Montreal,”
- Book launch and lecture with Heritage Ottawa (2017): From Walk Up to High-Rise: Ottawa’s Historic Apartment Buildings
- Ross, S. (2017).”Keyword: Deconstruction Waste (Building).” Discard Studies
- Ross, S. (2017). “A Bibliography on Demolition Waste and Deconstruction.” Discard Studies
- Ross, S. (2017). “Sustainable Conservation Strategies for Canada’s Modernist Wood Legacy.” Journal of Architectural Conservation 23.3, 171-189. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13556207.2017.1330385
- Reports for the Indigenous Learning Place project:
- Desrochers-Turgeon, L., Zanussi, D., and Ross, S. (2017). Carleton University Indigenous Learning Place Precedent Research
- Ross, S. (2017). Carleton University Amphitheatre – History and Significance
- News on student based research:
- Rubinstein, D. (2017) “Lifting Macdonald Gardens Park: Students Help Secure Heritage Designation,” Carleton Stories
- McPherson, L. (2017) “Architecture Students Become Global Interns,” Carleton Newsroom.
- CDNS 4403-5003 F 2017 new student case studies added to Sustainable Heritage Case Studies