Adjunct Research Professor, Research Scientist, Head of Research and Development
|Degrees:||B.Sc. (New Brunswick), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Carleton)|
|Office:||Canadian Food Inspection Agency|
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Burton Blais has been a researcher with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) for over twenty years. His focus on the detection of foodborne pathogens has resulted in the application of novel techniques that continually increase the safety of food in Canada. He is currently Head of Research and Development at the Ottawa Laboratory Carling and Team Leader of the CFIA Food Microbiology Research Team. His current research interests include the development of enhanced analytical capacity supporting regulatory food safety programs, with a particular emphasis on the detection of food-borne bacterial pathogens using genomics tools.
(1) Blais, B.W., Gauthier, M., Deschenes, M. and G. Huszczynski (2012) Polyester Cloth-based hybridization array system for identification of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli serogroups O26, O45, O103, O111, O121, O145 and O157. Journal of Food Protection, 75: 1691-1697.
(2) Lambert, D., Carrillo, C.D., Koziol, A., Manninger, P., and B. W. Blais (2015) GeneSippr: a Rapid Whole-Genome Approach for the Identification and Characterization of Foodborne Pathogens Such as Priority Shiga Toxigenic Escherichia coli. PLOS One 10(4): e0122928. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0122928.
(3) Knowles, M., Lambert, D., Huszczynski, G., Gauthier, M., and B. Blais (2015) Polymerase chain reaction for the specific detection of an Escherichia coli O157:H7 laboratory control strain. Journal of Food Protection, 78:1738-1744.
(4) Carrillo, C.D., Koziol, A.G., Mathews, A., Goji, N., Lambert, D., Huszczynski, G., Gauthier, M., Amoako, K., and B.W. Blais (2016) Comparative Evaluation of Genomic and Laboratory Approaches for Determination of Shiga Toxin Subtypes in Escherichia coli. Journal of Food Protection, 79:2078-2085.
(5) Knowles, M., Stinson, S., Lambert, D., Carrillo, C., Koziol, A., Gauthier, M., and B. Blais (2016) Genomic tools for Customized Recovery and Detection of Food-Borne Shiga-Toxigenic Escherichia coli. Journal of Food Protection, 79:2066-2077.