February 16, 2021
To All Members of the Carleton Community,
Brightspace development courses (or “sandboxes”) have automatically been created for all Carleton instructors. Many summer course shells have also been added so that you can begin adding course materials if applicable.
Brightspace will replace cuLearn as Carleton’s Learning Management System (LMS) in May 2021. It’s faster and more reliable and it features a clean, modern design with new ways to help students succeed.
As you begin exploring Brightspace, please keep the following considerations in mind:
- Most cuLearn content will be migrated for instructors: To date, more than three years’ worth of course content has already been migrated from cuLearn into Brightspace. By June 1, five years of content will have been transferred. If you have taught a course using cuLearn within the past few years, your content will be migrated for you and available for review in Brightspace.
- Instructor support is available for migrated content: Teaching and Learning Services (TLS) has created a new Brightspace Instructor Support site and D2L provides 24/7/365 technical support via phone, chat or email. TLS staff are also available to help you find solutions to your course needs. If you need support, please complete the Brightspace course consultation request form.
- cuLearn access will continue throughout 2021: Instructors, students and staff will be able to access data, content and files from cuLearn throughout the summer and fall terms using the regular cuLearn login portal; however, no new users or courses will be added past May 2021.
- Migrated content should be reviewed and may need clean up: Plan to evaluate your migrated content. It may make sense to start fresh or to bring in selected course elements, rather than reusing and revising your existing content. The cuLearn (Moodle) to Brightspace Tool Crosswalk can help guide your content review. The crosswalk features tool equivalencies, common issues and solutions to migration challenges.
- Training is available: TLS is hosting Brightspace training workshops online throughout February and beyond to help you get started in the new LMS. You will get a firsthand look at the Brightspace interface, see technical demonstrations, hear about available resources and get answers to your course questions.
If you have any questions about the migration to Brightspace, we encourage you to visit our Brightspace Migration page and our FAQ page. Please do not hesitate to reach out to TLS and the implementation team at email@example.com for more information.
Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
David J Hornsby
Associate Vice-President (Teaching and Learning)