Following a comprehensive learning management system review and extensive consultations and evaluations with our teaching and learning community, Carleton University has selected Brightspace by Desire2Learn as our new Learning Management System (LMS) to replace cuLearn in the spring 2021 term.
Desire2Learn is a Canadian company, headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario, and its Brightspace platform is widely adopted across the province and internationally. In Ottawa, Brightspace is the LMS for University of Ottawa, Algonquin College and La Cité.
The fully accessible and scalable Brightspace platform will provide several key advantages to Carleton’s community of educators and learners, including:
- Substantial improvements in performance, responsiveness and reliability
- A simpler interface and more intuitive gradebook
- 24/7 technical support for faculty, staff and students
- Data visualization tools that help instructors understand how students are interacting with, and performing in, courses
- Updates and new features that are predictably and regularly implemented without outages and without Carleton staff needing to debug and test the changes
- A more simplified and consistent experience for students in joint programs and instructors who collaborate in shared courses with post-secondary institutions in Ottawa