Safety Data Sheets Internet Resources
There are several different locations on the internet with SDS information and/or databases. Most of these sites are searchable by chemical name, manufacturer name, and/or CAS number. To assist you with finding the correct information for your needs, and to ensure you have the opportunity to consult more than one source, we have compiled a list of some of our favorite sites:
Carleton University has recently partnered with ChemWatch, one of the largest suppliers of independently researched SDSs. It provides a full range of services to assess and control chemical risks. Access ChemWatch HERE!
Please note: This database is IP specific and is accessible only from the University network. There is no access from outside the University.
Manufacturer specific database
- Sigma-Aldrich. Over 85,000 material safety data sheets (MSDS) from the Sigma-Aldrich family of companies are available on-line. If the case arises that a MSDS is not available on-line, you can get additional information from Sigma-Aldrich on-line MSDS Request form. To full benefit from the site you have to register on line. The registration is free.
- International Chemical Safety Cards: compiled by United Nation’s International Occupational Safety and Health Information Centre.
- Vermont SIRI: Once connected, you will be given instructions on how to search the MSDS archive. This site also has links to other MSDS sites.
- Fisher Scientific: has an online catalogue that includes MSDS information.
- VWR Scientific: has online MSDS in their catalogue.
- Agency for Toxic substances and Disease Registry: has hazardous substance fact sheets.
Before starting work with any new substance, check your procedures with your supervisor or consult the Manager for Laboratory and Academic Program Safety at email@example.com .