What is Business Continuity & Resilience Planning?
Business Continuity is the creation of strategies through the recognition of threats and risks facing an organization, with a focus on resuming business operations in the event of a disaster or interruption in the most effective and efficient way. Resilience stands for the ability to recover quickly from difficulties and the ability of an individual or organization to bounce back. We seek to provide our community members with the right tools, as well as build up their capacity and capabilities to ensure their ability to “bounce back” in the event of a disaster or interruption.
Business Continuity & Resilience Planning involves …
- defining potential risks,
- determining how those risks will affect operations,
- implementing safeguards and procedures designed to mitigate those risks,
- testing those procedures to ensure that they work, and
- periodically reviewing the process to make sure that it is up to date.
Business Continuity Planning is important so Carleton University can be a viable entity and can continue to provide services in the event of a business interruption. As indicated within the EMCO Policy, all faculties and administrative departments shall identify their critical operations and facility requirements of their respective units. Each unit shall develop a Business Continuity and Resilience Plan (BCRP), which identifies the critical functions, operations, and services; necessary equipment and resources; shutdown and notification procedures; and strategies for a safe and swift return to operations. Each unit will need to identify a Departmental Business Continuity Coordinator to manage the following responsibilities:
- Ensures the Department/Unit BCRP invocation procedures are current
- Maintains departmental phone trees
- Ensures ongoing maintenance of the BCRP in collaboration with the EMCO Office
- Facilitates exercises of the BCRP annually
- Acts as the department/unit representative for all business continuity matters
- Attends to the Carleton Emergency Operations Centre (CEOC) as required
- Maintains a log of actions taken and decisions made
A copy of each unit’s BCRP shall be provided to the Emergency Management and Continuity of Operations (EMCO) Office and will be annexed with the University’s Business Continuity and Resilience Framework. Plans should be reviewed and updated annually.
Additional resources for Departmental Business Continuity Coordinators will be made available here on our website in the near future.
For further inquiries about Business Continuity and Resilience Planning at Carleton University, contact our Emergency Management & Business Continuity Coordinator, Krista Sayeau, at Krista.Sayeau@carleton.ca.