Victor A. Konrad
Adjunct Research Professor
|Degrees:||B.A., M.A. (York), Ph.D. (McMaster)|
In 1990, Victor Konrad accepted the position as founding Executive Director of the Fulbright Program between Canada and the United States. Dr. Konrad has devoted his career to higher education advancement and development between these neighbouring countries. His research is centred on the transfer of culture across borders, and he has published extensively about Native American encounters with Europeans, cultural landscape transitions, and Canada-U.S. borderlands. Professor Konrad has taught at universities in the United States and Canada, and from 1980 to 1990 served as Director of the Canadian-American Center at the University of Maine.
- Culture transfer across boundaries
- Cultural geography of New England
- Geography of North American relations
2018 – 2019 Courses
- GEOG 5400 Territory and Territoriality
Editor for Canada, Columbia Gazateer . Three volumes. New York: Columbia University Press, 1998.
Geography of Canada. The ACSUS Papers. Second Edition. Washington: The Association of Canadian Studies in the United States and Michigan State University Press, 1996.
“Borderlines and Borderlands in the Geography of North American Relations”, in Stephen J. Randall and Herman Konrad, eds., NAFTA in Transition . Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1995, pp. 179-192.
“Higher Education Cooperation between Canada, the United States and Mexico”, in Stephen J. Randall and Herman Konrad, eds., NAFTA in Transition . Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1995, pp. 353-362.
“Homesteading the Pryor Mountains of Montana,” in William Wyckoff and Lary Dilsaver, eds., The Mountainous West. Explorations in Historical Geography. Lincoln: The University of Nebraska Press, 1995, pp. 194-223.
Canadian Geography Editor, Columbia Encyclopedia . New York: Columbia University Press, 1994.
(with Emerson W. Baker, Edwin A. Churchill, Richard S. D’Abate, Kristine L. Jones and Harold E.L. Prins), eds., American Beginnings: Exploration, Culture and Cartography in the Land of Norumbega . Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1994.
- Association for Canadian Studies in the United States, President, 1989-1991
- Association of American Geographers, Councillor, 1983-1986; Chair AAG-CAG Committee, 1984-87, 1990-92
- Canadian Association of Geographers
- The Eastern Historical Geography Association
- The Canadian Association of American Studies
- Editorial Boards of The Canadian Geographer, The Great Lakes Geographer, The Canadian Review of American Studies
- Book Review Editor and occasional Editor, The American Review of Canadian Studies
- Listings in Who’s Who in the East, Who’s Who in Technology Today and several professional rosters