PLEASE NOTE: The application period for this opportunity has closed.
LERRN is pleased to announce the following opportunity on behalf of the Placement, Preservation and Perseverance: Afghan at Risk Scholars, Activists and Students (PPP) Project.
PPP Student Communications Personnel (Summer 2023)
Job Type: Communications
Part Time Summer Job (10 hours a week) with Placement, Preservation and Perseverance: Afghan at Risk Scholars, Activists and Students (PPP), Carleton University
Payment: CAD $20/hour
Number of Openings: 1
Duration: 01 June – 30 August 2023 (Renewable)
Application Deadline: 15 May 2023
About the PPP Project
PPP is an IDRC funded initiative that seeks to respond to the ongoing crisis in Afghanistan, which continues to have a significant impact on the higher-education sector in the country. The project facilitates a range of programs and research projects that support Afghan knowledge communities and civil society actors in the diaspora, especially in Canada. The project supports displaced scholars, activists and students currently living in Canada, and helps establish resettlement, integration and preservation of knowledge.
About the position
PPP is looking for a full-or-part time student registered at Carleton University that has a proven background in communications, digital media and some experience with website design. This is a part-time position that may be extended past the summer. The ideal candidate is a motivated individual and a team player who is able to manage their own time and works effectively to deadlines.
Scope of work
Under direction of the Program Director, the Student Communications personnel will provide a wide range of communications support to increase the media presence, awareness and advocacy impact of the project’s programs, activities and network building.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Coordinate the organization, promotion and hosting of webinars and other virtual events.
- Build website to showcase project.
- Develop promotional materials and knowledge mobilization products on activities of project.
- Edit webinars, courses, or any other video material.
- Design posters, brochures and visual aids, which accurately reflect the desired theme and tone of the project or event.
- Contribute to web and social media content.
- Provide creative ideas to improve communication strategies.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience building websites from templates.
- Experience with content development and editing video for web and social media.
- Deadline-oriented and manages time effectively.
- Communications for event-management like conferences and webinars.
- Self-motivated with a strong capacity for independent work.
- Have advanced proofreading skills and a keen eye for aesthetics and details.
- Experience with processing and synthesizing large amounts of information to create simplified and clear content.
- Understanding of political, economic and social history of Afghanistan and its contemporary implications.
- Have proven ability to be a supportive and productive team member in a rapidly changing work environment
Student candidates of Afghan origin are preferred, but students with experiences of displacement are highly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Dr. Shuchi Karim (email@example.com) by 15 May 2023. Please quote “PPP Student Communications Personnel: Summer 2023” in the subject line.
References are required. In your concise cover letter, specify how your skills and experience match our requirements. We will not be accepting phone calls. You may also include a link to your portfolio or previous video experience.
Thank you for your interest in this position; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.