The minimum admission requirement for the master’s program is a B.A. or B.Sc. Honours (or the equivalent) in Psychology with at least high honours standing (A- or 80%), completion of a research thesis, advanced statistics (A- or 80%), and credit in a breadth of courses in line with the psychology major. Meeting the minimum requirements does not automatically guarantee acceptance into the program.
In addition to transcripts and letters of reference, application packages must include a statement of interest.
The scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are not required.
Proficiency in English
Proficiency in English is necessary to pursue graduate studies at Carleton University. All applicants whose first language is not English must satisfy this requirement in one of the following ways:
- To present an official overall score of 80 on the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment; or
- To present an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 97 on the internet-based test (IBT) with a minimum score of 24 in writing and speaking and a minimum score of 22 in reading and listening; or
- To present an official overall International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.5, with a minimum of 7.0 in each band score; or
- To present an official overall score of 73 on the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with a minimum score of 73 in each Communicative Skill; or
- To have completed ESLA 1900 or ESLA 1905 at Carleton University with a final grade of B+ or higher; or
- To present official certification (transcripts) to indicate that you have studied for the last three years (full-time, non-ESL) in a university in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom or any other country in which the primary language is English, and where the language of instruction in the relevant educational institution was exclusively English. Note: Letters from your universities stating the medium of instruction is English are not acceptable.
(min. of 7.0 in each band)
(min. 24 in writing and speaking, min. 22 in reading and listening)
|80 overall||73 (min. 73 in each Communicative Skill)|
TOEFL codes are as follows:
0854 – Institution
58 – Psychology: Experimental / Developmental
79 – Psychology: Social
08 – Psychology: Other