- Service Update
- Exam Deferrals
- How to Defer an Exam
- Dates and Deadlines
- Important Links
We are aware that medical notes from physicians may be difficult to obtain during this time. You may submit a “COVID-19 self-declaration form” (see the “Downloads” section at the bottom of this page) instead.
Students who encounter circumstances beyond their control may defer their final examination or take-home examination to write it at a later date. Examples of scenarios in which you may receive a deferral would be in the event of serious illness or the death of a family member. Please see the University Regulations in Sections 4.1 – 4.4 of the Undergraduate Calendar for details.
Please note that by completing and submitting a Deferral Application you are authorizing the Registrar’s Office to contact those who have provided documentation submitted with your application, including but not limited to medical documentation, for purposes of verifying authenticity.
Further questions or concerns can be sent to email@example.com.
- Deferral applications for final or take-home examinations must be made using the Online Deferral Application no more than three business days after the original final examination or the due date of the take-home examination.
- Your medical documentation must be dated as seen by your physician no later than one working day after the examination or prior to the examination as long as the medical certificate covers the date(s) of the examination(s) or take-home exam(s) due date(s).
- Supporting documentation must be provided. In the case of take-home examinations, please include a copy of your course syllabus to confirm the due-date, or another equivalent supporting document.
- We do not accept faxed or emailed applications or supporting documents.
The deadline to apply for a deferral is within 3 working days after the original final examination date or the original due date of the take-home examination.
- Dates for the standard examination period are on the university calendar.
- The deferred examination schedule is on the Scheduling and Examination Services website and Carleton Central.
- Fall Term Courses: January 15
- Fall/Winter and Winter Term Courses: May 15
- Summer Term Courses (Ending in June): July 15
- Summer Term Courses (Ending in August): September 15
- Online Deferral Application Form
- Missed Deferrals
- Deferred Examination Schedule (Public View)
- Personalized Examination Schedule (via Carleton Central)
- Rules and Procedures for Writing an Exam
- “Self-Declaration Form” (see the “Downloads” section at the bottom of this page)
- “Carleton University Medical Form” (see the “Downloads” section at the bottom of this page)
- “Additional Deferral Information” (see the “Downloads” section at the bottom of this page)
- “Off-Campus Deferral Information” (see the “Downloads” section at the bottom of this page)