The Universal Transit Pass, more commonly known as the U-Pass, is a bus pass offered through Carleton University at a discounted rate. The U-Pass has come into effect through CUSA and GSA referendums and through collaboration with OC Transpo and STO. During the Winter term of 2016, both undergraduate and graduate students voted in favour of a Summer U-Pass.
The U-Pass is a compulsory fee for all students who are enrolled in full-time classes. In the summer term, full-time classes is defined as being registered in at least 1.0 credit. In the fall or winter term, full-time classes is defined as at least 1.5 credits in either term. Graduate students who are designated as “full-time” are also eligible for the U-Pass. The U-Pass for the upcoming academic year will be available to be picked up from the Campus Card Office (407 University Centre) beginning July 31st, 2017.
Students can also apply to opt-out of the U-Pass. Find out if you are eligible to opt-out of the U-Pass.
New U-Pass smartcard
Starting this summer, a blue U-Pass smartcard will be distributed to all full-time students. Please tap your U-Pass on the card reader when you board the bus and at O-Train Trillium Line stations. On STO buses, please board at the front door and “tap on”.
Remember: your U-Pass is not transferable and cannot be shared.
Reuse your U-Pass smartcard each semester
U-Pass smartcards will be programmed each semester with expiry dates so that the same cards can be reused. Before each semester, students will be instructed when and where to tap their cards to activate them.
Keep your U-Pass smartcard for Fall 2017 Fall Eligible Students
Students that receive a Summer U-Pass should hold onto their card until they graduate .
Fall Eligible Students
If you are ELIGIBLE in the Fall term, you will follow this process.
- Visit one of our three recharging units on campus on or after August 28th.
- Tap your card.
- Got a green light? Your card is extended through to April 30, 2018.
- Got a red light? Contact email@example.com. Make sure you use our campus email and give your student ID.
Fall Ineligible Students
If you are NOT ELIGIBLE in the Fall term, keep your card safe until you become eligible again. If you become eligible at a later date and do not have your card, you will need to pay the replacement fee of $25.00.
New fare gates on the O-Train Trillium Line
- Fare gates are being installed this summer at Greenboro, Confederation, Carleton, and Carling O-Train Stations.
- Fare gates are easy to use and fully accessible
- Tap your U-Pass then walk through the fare gate to enter
- When exiting, just walk through the gate and the barrier will open automatically—no tap required
Benefits of the U-Pass
- Significant savings compared to a regular monthly pass
- Unlimited travel
- Helps support a sustainable community
- The Fall/Winter U-Pass fee is $202.46, plus an administrative fee of $4.36, per each semester. The Fall/Winter U-Pass is valid September 1, 2017, to April 30, 2018.
Lost your U-Pass?
If you lose your U-Pass, call OC Transpo’s Lost & Found at 613-563-4011 or visit heartwoodhouse.ca. If your pass is not found, a replacement is available for a fee at your institution
2018 Summer U-Pass Information
Eligible full-time students enjoy the convenience and freedom of the U-Pass during the summer. Your U-Pass will be available on campus starting April 17, 2018, at the Campus Card Office.
- April 17- 21, 2017, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Extended hours: April 24– May 5
- Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The 2018 Summer U-Pass fee is $202.46 for the semester . The Summer U-Pass is valid May 1, 2018, to August 31, 2018.
For students who are not full-time during the summer, switch to Presto for your summer transit. The new EquiPass may be an option for you. Check octranspo.com for details on eligibility and how to apply.