Staring at a blank course shell can be daunting. Teaching and Learning Services has compiled these resources to help get you started building an engaging course on Brightspace.
Some of the resources you’ll find on this page include links to self-enrollment example courses, quick build resources such as templates, Brightspace support information and a video tour of Brightspace interface.
To get more familiar with Brightspace, start with these resources:
- Welcome to Brightspace for Instructors — video overview
- Brightspace Support Site — step by step instructions for course setup tasks
- TLS Brightspace channel — Mediaspace channel with a range of videos about Brightspace at Carleton
- Brightspace Tools Course (carleton.ca) — a self-enrollment course that provides an overview of the tools inside Brightspace
- Brightspace Basics Online Course — a self-enrollment course with 21 topics to explore, including instructions and videos
If you have any difficulty enrolling in any of these courses or viewing any of the resources, please submit a support ticket.
Watch the video below for a brief overview of Carleton’s supported EdTech tools:
Course Setup Guides
- Brightspace Course Setup Checklist: Use the Course Setup Checklist as a guide to building the basics of your course. You’ll find the main course elements you need listed with links to instructional support pages.
- Brightspace Course Pre-Launch Checklist: Finished setting up your course and thinking of making it active? Use this simple checklist to make sure all the components of an engaging, well-designed course are available for students.
- Brightspace Glossary: Finding the new terminology of Brightspace confusing? Visit the Brightspace Glossary for some definitions and explanations of the new lingo.
- Brightspace Migration page: Interested in using existing course content from cuLearn in a Brightspace course? Visit our Migrations support page for helpful links and resources to help you get started.
- Request a Brightspace consultation: Request assistance with your course design and setup from Teaching and Learning Services staff. If you need help, connect with us for support. We’re here to support your course needs.
- Sign up for a Brightspace workshop: Let TLS staff guide you through your Brightspace course setup in online training workshops as you learn more about navigating and using Brightspace to setup a course that maximizes student engagement.
- Browse the Brightspace Instructor Support site: For instructions and help guides on most basic course setup tasks, visit the Brightspace Instructor Support Site. For the student experience, visit the Brightspace Student Support site.
Teaching and Learning Services Contact Information
- Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30-4:30
- Educational technology support – Visit the TLS Support Portal to enter a tech support request, or fill out the course consultation request form
- Course design or pedagogical support – Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
D2L Brightspace Technical Support Contact Information
- Available: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- EMAIL: Fill out the Email Support Request Form
- PHONE: 1-877-325-7778