On this page you’ll find the most up-to-date list of Complementary Studies Electives options for the current or upcoming term(s).
Engineering students are advised to wait until lists are posted before selecting an elective. Elective options vary term to term.
The following list(s) of elective options are subject to change as we review course outlines to verify that they meet all CSE requirements. If a course on the list becomes ineligible, any B.Eng. students registered in that course will be notified via email before the registration deadline.
Click here: List of Complementary Studies Elective options for Fall 2023 and Winter 2024 terms
(updated July 19, 10:00am)
To be acceptable for inclusion in your degree, a complementary studies elective (CSE) must meet the following requirements:
- has 3 hours of lecture per week (can include up to 1 hour tutorial/discussion time)
- deals with the “thought processes and methodologies of the arts and social sciences”
- includes an evaluation of written material, such as an essay or research paper (not part of an exam)
- includes a proctored final exam scheduled within the examination period
- is not a “language learning” course
- is not a combined asynchronous/synchronous online course; course cannot have online asynchronous component (lecture or tutorial). Online synchronous courses are permitted.
Enrolment in courses on this list is subject to departmental approval, as there may be additional requirements that B.Eng. students do not meet. Click the course title for prerequisite information and a course description or visit https://calendar.carleton.ca/undergrad/courses/.
Note: If you are unable to register, you may contact the department offering the course through Carleton Central’s Registration Override Request form to request access.
Alternate Complementary Studies Elective Requests
If none of the courses on the acceptable Complementary Studies Electives list fit your timetable and you would like to take a different course that meets the same requirements, you may submit an Alternate Complementary Studies Elective Request to be reviewed by the Associate Dean.
Note: Any complementary studies elective must meet all of the six (6) requirements listed above.
Please contact the Academic Support Office at EngAcadSupport@carleton.ca for the form and detailed instructions.
Note: You must submit a current course outline for the course you wish to take and be able to demonstrate that none of the acceptable courses fit your timetable. Course outlines can be found on the website of the department offering the course, or by emailing the department directly.