All BEng students in a 2019 or later calendar year program are required to complete an Engineering portfolio. In this course, students are asked to reflect on their skills, strengths, and weaknesses as preparation for the professional practice course ECOR 4995.
Benefits of completing a portfolio
- Building a portfolio as a student will create an additional resource for you to share when you’re applying for jobs.
- With a cuPortfolio link added to your resume, you have the ability to share your best coursework with potential employers in order to demonstrate your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Reflecting on work completed will further develop your metacognitive skills.
- This is a concurrent prerequisite course requirement for ECOR 4995: Professional Practice.
Once registered in ECOR 2995, students will be granted access to a cuPortfolio template to upload their work samples that meet the following requirements:
- one laboratory report from a science or engineering course (from 1st, 2nd or 3rd year)
- one writing assignment/essay from Complementary Studies Elective or from CDNS 2400. ARCH 1000, ARCH 4200 (from 1st, 2nd or 3rd year)
- one engineering, math, or science assignment (from 2nd or 3rd year)
- one Engineering design or technical report (from 3rd year)
- one sample of your notes from a lecture (from 2nd or 3rd year)
- one lab or assignment instructions
Upon uploading these samples of work, students will respond to reflection prompts.
The portfolio also requires a self-awareness reflection, and including CV is recommended
Recommended Timeline for Completing Portfolio
Concurrent registration in ECOR 2995 and ECOR 4995 is permitted. As a result, you can register for ECOR 2995 on your own in Carleton Central either before or in the same term as you plan to register for ECOR 4995.
Once you register, you must submit your engineering portfolio by the deadline noted in the Brightspace course page of your registered ECOR 2995 course section. The deadlines to submit the portfolio are as follows:
- Early Summer term: June 1
- Early Fall term: November 1
- Early Winter term: March 1