ECOR 2995: Engineering Portfolio
All BEng students in a 2019 or later calendar year program are required to complete an Engineering portfolio. In this course, students are asked to reflect on their skills, strengths, and weaknesses as preparation for the professional practice course ECOR 4995. Engineering students must submit samples of their writing and communications, and personal reflections for each.
Benefits of completing a portfolio
- Building a portfolio as a student will create an additional resource for you to share when you’re applying for jobs.
- With a cuPortfolio link added to your resume, you have the ability to share your best coursework with potential employers in order to demonstrate your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Reflecting on work completed will further develop your metacognitive skills.
- This is a concurrent prerequisite course requirement for ECOR 4995: Professional Practice.
Students will be granted access to a cuPortfolio collection of ECOR 2995 templates which require students to upload four samples of coursework completed in first, second, or third year courses that meet the following requirements:
- one laboratory report from a science or engineering course (from 1st, 2nd or 3rd year)
- one writing assignment/essay from Complementary Studies Elective or from CDNS 2400. ARCH 1000, ARCH 4200 (from 1st, 2nd or 3rd year)
- one engineering, math, or science assignment (from 2nd or 3rd year)
- one Engineering design or technical report (from 3rd year)
- one sample of your notes from a lecture (from 2nd or 3rd year)
Upon uploading these samples of work, students will respond to reflection prompts.
Recommended timeline for completing portfolio
During 2nd year: Review Brightspace Engineering Portfolio course materials and cuPortfolio requirements, including reflection prompts.
During 2nd and 3rd year: Upload samples and submit reflections into cuPortfolio.
End of 3rd year: ECOR 2995 is offered 3 times during this academic year- Early Summer 2023, Early Fall 2023 and Early Winter 2024 terms. Concurrent registration in ECOR 2995 and ECOR 4995 is permitted. As a result, you can register for ECOR 2995 on your own in Carleton Central either before OR in the same term as you wish to register for ECOR 4995. Once you register, you must submit your engineering portfolio by the deadline noted in the Brightspace page of your registered ECOR 2995 course section.