Past Event! Note: this event has already taken place.
Symposium on Sikhism
November 27, 2017 at 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
|Location:||2nd Floor Atrium, Richcraft Hall|
The Canada-India Centre for Excellence at Carleton University has launched an initiative to highlight diversity in Canada and India. As part of the initiative, and in honour of the 350th anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh, the Centre is organizing the inaugural Symposium on Sikhism. Conferences on other major religions will be announced soon – stay tuned!
Symposium on Sikhism
In words of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, “diversity is Canada’s strength.” Canada has become an example of how immigrants from different backgrounds come together to bring peace and prosperity to the whole world. One immigrant community that is at the forefront of political discourse in this country is the Sikh community. Despite comprising of less than 0.4% of the world population, Sikhs have made tremendous contributions to businesses, academia and culture globally.
As the Canadian electorate and businesses look towards the future, they must have a better understanding of Sikhism – its emergence (including its values, traditions and so forth) and its global cultural, political and economic impact.
This symposium will bring together leading scholars, business executives and public figures to help Canadians better understand Sikhism and how it shares Prime Minister Trudeau’s positive vision of Canada.
- His Excellency Mr. Vikas Swarup, High Commissioner of India to Canada
- Mr. Manjit Singh, President, Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee and Communities
- Honourable Baljit Singh Chadha, Balcorp Inc
- Mr. Barj Dhahan, Sandhurst Group
- Mr. Baltej Singh Dhillon, RCMP
- Mr. Suneet Singh Tuli, Datawind
- Mr. Raj Narula, InCa Synergies
- Mr. Surjit Babra, SkyLink Group
- Dr. Anne Murphy – University of British Columbia
- Dr. Doris Jakobsh – University of Waterloo
- Dr. Jaswinder Singh – Khalsa College, Delhi University
- Dr. Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh – Colby College
- Dr. Satwinder Bains – University of Fraser Valley
- Dr. Gurcharan Singh – Carleton University
We would like to thank our sponsors:
Partner Sponsor: Ministry of Culture (Government of India)
Platinum Sponsors: Infinity Convention Centre and Phoenix Homes
“Friends of the event” Sponsors: Richcraft Homes, InCa Synergies, CanAsian Times, “Buy and Sell with Realtor”, India Curry and Kebab House, Nirman’s Law, KAT Design and Construction, and MirchMasala.CA