Symposium on Sikhism
November 27, 2017 at 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
|Location:||2nd Floor Atrium, Richcraft Hall|
In words of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, “diversity is Canada’s strength.” Canada has become an example of how immigrants from different backgrounds come together to bring peace and prosperity to the whole world. One immigrant community that is at the forefront of political discourse in this country is the Sikh community. The recent election of Jagmeet Singh as the leader of the NDP, one of Canada’s three major national political parties, has made him one of only three individuals with a chance to become the next Prime Minister. Despite comprising of less than 0.4% of the world population, Sikhs have made tremendous contributions to businesses, academia and culture globally.
As the Canadian electorate and businesses look towards the future, they must have a better understanding of Sikhism – its emergence (including its values, traditions and so forth) and its global cultural, political and economic impact.
This symposium will bring together leading scholars, business executives and public figures to help Canadians better understand Sikhism and how it shares Prime Minister Trudeau’s positive vision of Canada.
This year also marks 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Sikh Guru.
- Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science, and Economic Development
- Honourable Harjit Sajjan, Minister of Defence
- Honourable Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism
- Honourable Amarjit Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
- His Excellency Mr. Vikas Swarup, High Commissioner of India to Canada
- His Excellency Mr. Nadir Patel, High Commissioner of Canada to India
- Mr. Manjit Singh, President, Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee and Communities
- Honourable Baljit Singh Chadha, Balcorp Inc
- Mr. Barj Dhahan, Sandhurst Group
- Dr. Anne Murphy – University of British Columbia
- Dr. Doris Jakobsh – University of Waterloo
- Dr. Jaswinder Singh – Khalsa College, Delhi University
- Dr. Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh – Colby College
- Dr. Satwinder Bains – University of Fraser Valley
- Mr. Gurcharan Singh, Adjunct Research Professor
We would like to thank all our sponsors and partners including Ministry of Culture, Government of India