Immigration issues can be complicated. Our website has general information and answers some common questions. However, the best advice for you will depend on your personal details.

We hope you will contact the ISSO if you need help to make an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or to understand anything about your immigration status in Canada.

You should definitely contact the ISSO if:

  • Your study permit has expired
  • You want to take a break from studying (not enrol for one or more terms)
  • You are thinking of changing from full-time to part-time student status
  • You want to withdraw from all or most of your courses for academic reasons
  • You are not sure if you can work or how much you can work
  • You need a study permit extension and you won’t finish your program by the completion date on your original admissions letter

Meeting with an Advisor

As Carleton University continues to follow our safe meetings and social distancing guidelines found on the Carleton Newsroom, the International Student Services Office (ISSO) has transitioned to providing services remotely during our regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday).

The only way to connect with the ISSO is by email. You should receive a reply to your inquiry within 2-4 business days. Personal meetings with a member of the immigration advising team may take place on Microsoft Teams, by appointment.  

You will speak with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) or a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA). RCICs and RISIAs are both licensed by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) to give immigration advice to students.

Bring your immigration documents, and if relevant, your application materials and letters from IRCC.

We Advise on These Issues

If your immigration question is not on this list, you are still welcome to contact us. We can often provide resources or referrals.

Study Permits

  • First-time study permit applications for new admissions
  • Study permit renewals and changes of conditions
  • Temporary Resident Visas
  • Conditions of student status
  • Authorized work for students

Work Permits

  • Co-op work permits
  • Post-Graduation Work Permits
  • Spousal/Common-Law Partner open work permits

Other Issues

  • Replacing lost or stolen immigration documents
  • Correcting errors on immigration documents
  • Travelling and returning to Canada

Visit our Events page to learn about our upcoming immigration information sessions.