1. In Case of an Emergency
  2. Useful Resources
  3. CU Travel Registry
    1. PART ONE: Adding a Travel Record
    2. PART TWO: Document Upload (For Students Participating in an Academic Exchange)

This page will provide you with the resources to help you prepare for your time abroad. It is important that Carleton students who are abroad on international programs, such as exchange, remember to check their Carleton email regularly in order to stay connected to the Carleton campus. We also recommend that you photocopy all important documents and leave the copies at home with someone you trust. Ensure that you have adequate travel insurance including, health insurance, trip cancellation insurance, property insurance etc.

In Case of an Emergency

Don’t forget to drop by the ISSO to pick up a card from Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada that lists “In case of an emergency abroad” information. In case of an emergency while out of country students should contact the following authorities, as appropriate:

  1. Contact the applicable local emergency authorities (police, fire, ambulance) for assistance.
  2. Contact the local Canadian Embassy/Consulate. If the emergency occurs out of office hours and you need consular assistance you should contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada 24-Hour Emergency Duty Officer at +1 (613) 996-8885. Collect calls will be accepted*. They can also be contact by email at sos@international.ca.
  3. Speak to the contact person at your host institution.
  4. Contact Carleton’s Campus Safety Office at +1 (613) 520-4444 to receive assistance and report the incident. Collect calls will be accepted*.

* If you are unable to make a collect call from your current location dial the Canada Direct access number for your location to be connected with a Canadian operator.

Remember, in the case of an emergency situation such as an earthquake etc. try and contact your family members at home as soon as possible and let them know that you are safe. We also ask that you contact Carleton’s Campus Safety Office (as per your Emergency Contact Card) to confirm your safety.

Useful Resources

CU Travel Registry

Carleton University students and staff are required to register in the CU Travel Registry when participating in university related travel outside of Canada.  This will include but not be limited to:

  • Student exchange
  • Research in international locations
  • Conferences
  • International field trips, placements and internships and volunteer postings
  • Language programs
  • International athletic competitions

In the event of a natural disaster or emergency in your location, the University will make every effort to communicate with you as soon as possible and offer any assistance feasible.  It is essential that you include updates to your travel plans in the registry as soon as they occur.

PART ONE: Adding a Travel Record

  1. Log into your Carleton Central Account
  2. Under ‘Personal Information’, select the Travel Registry.  If you have not already provided an emergency contact, you must enter an emergency contact in order to submit your travel information.  To do this, return to the main menu and under ‘Personal Information,’ select Personal Emergency Contact Information.  Return to Travel Registry (under ‘Personal Information’).
  3. Click on the Add Travel Record button to initiate an entry –> complete a separate entry for each leg of your journey (e.g. If you are visiting London before travelling to Paris, create and entry for each destination).
  4. Input the following information:
  • Date of Departure
  • Date of Return: If you are travelling to more than one international location, your expected date of return should be the date you will be leaving to go onto your next destination.  (Note: this does not apply to destinations you visit on connecting flights during the course of your travel.
  • Reason for Travel:
    • All students except those in the Bachelor of Global & International Studies (BGInS) program, select “Academic Exchange”
    • Bachelor of Global & International Studies (BGInS) students select “BGInS IER” and then select their applicable IER option from the “BGInS IER” dropdown menu (e.g. International Exchange).
  • Out of Country Phone Number: Provide an Emergency Contact with whom University officials can communicate.
  • Destination: If you are travelling on exchange, indicate the Host Institution you will be attending. (Note: Canadian institutions are listed first, from A to Z, followed by international institutions from A to Z)
  • Mailing Address: Input the location where you will living while away.

5. Based on the Reason for Travel, a list of required documents will be provided in the ‘Documents’ table. Instructions on how to upload required documents are included in Part Two of this document.

6. Click the “Submit” button at the bottom of the screen to create your travel registry.
If you receive an error message, attempt the process in another browser. We recommend Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox.

PART TWO: Document Upload (For Students Participating in an Academic Exchange)

The required exchange documents listed below and can be found online. The documents are PDFs which must be printed, completed, and then scanned and saved for uploading.

  • Certificate of Arrival
  • Certificate of Departure
  • Consular Report/Proof of Insurance
  1. A) Upload the required information in “Step 1: Uploading Documents” by:
    a. Choosing the Document Type
    b. Browsing to select the appropriate file
    c. Clicking “Upload Document”
    B) Finalize the Documents in “Step 2: Finalizing Documents”
    This step allows you to review the documents you have uploaded to ensure they have been completed correctly before saving them to the Document Management system. The system will not allow you to upload a new version of the same document once you have clicked “Finalize”.
    When you are sure the documents are correct, click the “Finalize” button beside each file to save the document. Or click the “Delete” button to remove the file if needed.
  2. Once all of the documents have been finalized, click the “Return to Summary” button.
  3. Exit the Travel Registry.
    Note: If you need to revise the information you provided for a specific travel record, you can return to the Travel Registry to make changes. From the main menu in Carleton Central, go to “Personal Information” and select “Travel Registry”. Then scroll down to see your list of travel records. Under “Actions” click “View or Update” to change the information for a particular record. If you click “Upload Documents” you can add a new document to your travel record.

If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Services Office, 128 University Centre, at isso@carleton.ca.