- Guidelines for Proofreading
- Position Details and Expectations
- Time Commitment
- Benefits to Joining the PMC Community
- Accessibility statement
Proofreaders support the academic success of students by offering suggestions and/or corrections for grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. This is accomplished through Microsoft Word comments and the use of track changes. The emphasis of this role is to cultivate the development of the student’s own writing skills.
- All assignments must be sent to the proofreader no less than 48 hours prior to the due date OR prior to the deadline set by the proofreader, as per the specific arrangement made with the student.
- Proofreading is not a replacement for editing, nor is it synonymous. Proofreaders are providing a copy-edit of assignments for basic spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence-structure errors. Proofreaders are not responsible for any issues of continuity or content.
- Check-in with supervisors
- Annually for availability
- Regularly for scheduling
- Complete the AODA and PMC training (provided)
- Possess excellent editing, reading and writing skills
- Possess a strong attention for detail and the ability to remain objective
- Be patient, empathetic and maintain confidentiality
- Be comfortable working with material covering any range of topics
- Be comfortable setting and maintaining boundaries—both in relation to content and professionalism
- Have excellent organizational skills
- Be comfortable setting and maintaining deadlines with clients and for proofreading work
- Medium – hours vary depending on time of semester.
- Time of day flexible based on due dates and class schedules.
- Contribute to the culture of accessibility and effect positive change at Carleton University
- Acquire sought after knowledge, skills and experiences for future employment
- Gain references and experience to put on your resume and discuss at your interview
- Recognition of volunteer time on your transcript through the Carleton Co-Curricular Record (CCR)
The Paul Menton Centre welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Apply using the form below if you are interested in becoming part of the process.
If you have any questions or concerns please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: PMC Voluneteer — Proofreader.