- What will PMC Ravens: Launch to Campus include?
- Workshop Offerings
- How do I attend?
- Past Orientation Event(s)
- Register Now
Whether you are attending university for the first time or are a returning student transitioning back to campus, this live and interactive event is for you! Meet peers and PMC staff, be introduced to the various PMC supports offered and learn how to set up your academic accommodations.
This event is held in addition to fall orientation programming offered to all incoming Carleton students.
During the 3-hour event, you’ll also have the opportunity to choose from a number of workshops designed to help foster your independence and self-advocacy skills to facilitate a smooth transition to campus. Equip yourself with strategies to help you manage academic expectations and requirements while meeting other students with similar experiences in a fun and supportive atmosphere!
- How to recognize stress and how it impacts you
- Ways to be proactive and avoid unnecessary stress
- Resources on and off campus for help with managing stress
- Simple stress reducing practices that you can do on your own
- How to cope with an academic setback, such as failing a course
- How to re-frame failure and move towards success
- What resources on campus can help you to improve your grades
- Introduction to assistive technology (AT)
- AT supports at the PMC
- Demonstration of notetaking AT that work for in-person and online classes
- How to effectively communicate and negotiate your needs in the workplace
- Resources to navigate your professional and career development
- Ways to gain resume-worthy experiences and skills in the Carleton community!
- Learn about what procrastination really is and why we engage in it
- Discuss how our thinking contributes to procrastination
- Introduction to several strategies to reduce procrastination, including time management
- The study cycle
- Driving your brain to manage your learning
- Levels of learning
- The forgetting curve and how to combat it
- Learn about what motivation really is
- Can motivation harm our studies?
- How to boost motivation in a positive way
- The if/then session
- Helps you navigate services on campus
- Tips to improve problem-solving skills
- Provide strategies to help you find solutions when faced with an academic issue you don’t know how to solve
This event will be offered virtually over Zoom several times before the beginning of the fall term, and you can join us more than once if you’d like to attend multiple workshops!
The Zoom link and detailed workshop descriptions will be sent out at least two days before the event.
PMC Ravens: Launch to Campus will be held each of the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, August 9 from 1 – 4:00pm
- Wednesday, August 17 from 10:00am – 1:00pm
- Thursday, August 25 from 1 – 4:00pm
- Tuesday, August 30 from 1 – 4:00pm
- Thursday, September 1 from 1 – 4:00pm
You will be able to attend 2-3 workshops during the event. The workshops offered will be the same on every event date.
Check out the recap of our Fall 2021 PMC Orientation to get an idea of the kind of information covered during orientation events. Please keep in mind that PMC Ravens: Launch to Campus will have a different form and feel than our previous PMC Orientation events.