Master of Arts – Women’s and Gender Studies
Our Master of Arts program offers expertise in understanding the complexities of gender. Our students have an opportunity to work with dynamic faculty members who place social inequality struggles and strategies for change at the forefront of curriculum and research. Within a globalization, transnational and intersectional framework, students can explore issues relating to:
- social justice
- human rights
- popular culture and digital media
- sexuality and the body
The core learning objectives of our program include transnational feminist scholarship, critical research and thinking skills, interdisciplinary and grounded knowledge. We also offer a collaborative specialization in African Studies.
- M.A. in Women’s and Gender Studies
- M.A. Women’s and Gender Studies with Specialization in African Studies
The deadline for applications to the master’s program is:
- February 1 for applicants requesting financial assistance for September; applications will continue to be considered beyond this date (space permitting) and funding may be available;
- State of intent/research interest (1 page)
- A cv/resume with a list of publications if applicable
- Two letters of reference from persons who are prepared to comment on your academic background and potential for graduate studies
- One certified transcript from all universities you have attended
- A preference form for financial support (application does not ensure employment). International candidates are asked to state in detail what funding they have available.
- All international students AND students whose mother tongue is NOT English must provide proof of language proficiency in English (REGARDLESS of language of instruction) A score obtained in the last 2 years is required. TOEFL: a score of 550 or above IBT TOEFL test: a score of 86 or above (www.ets.org/toefl) CAELS test: a score of 60 or above IELTS: a total band score of 6.5 or above (with 6.0 in each band). The GRE test is NOT compulsory, but is recommended for applicants whose first language is not English.
- A non-refundable application processing fee of $100.00 Canadian must be submitted for each program to which you apply. This fee is payable to the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) by Visa, Mastercard, cheque or money order.
Please contact Dr. Pat Gentile, if you have any questions