1. Overview
  2. Full-time and Continuing Staff and Faculty
  3. Temporary/Casual Staff


You are eligible to receive a Record of Employment (ROE) if you have had a work stoppage in excess of five working days.  An ROE is only required if you wish to immediately apply for Employment Insurance benefits.

For information about entitlement to Employment Insurance Benefits see the Canada Revenue Agency website.

The process of acquiring an ROE is different depending on Full-time/Continuing or Temporary/Casual employee status.

Full-time and Continuing Staff and Faculty

A ROE is automatically completed and sent directly to Service Canada when Human Resources is notified of a work stoppage. Types of work stoppage that require an ROE include:

  • Termination of employment
  • Leave of Absence (ie: Maternity, Parental)
  • Leave without pay
  • Unpaid sick leave

Temporary/Casual Staff