To All Members of the Carleton Community,
I am pleased to announce the constitution of the search committee for the Dean of the Faculty of Science. Thank you to all who submitted your names and/or forwarded nominations for membership on this committee. Executive search consultant Laverne Smith, from Laverne Smith & Associates Inc., will assist the committee in this search. We will begin meeting in the fall and will continue until the appointment is completed. The intended start date for the new dean is July 1, 2018.
An email address (email@example.com) has been set up and the committee invites members of the Carleton community to submit any suggestions regarding the challenges and opportunities you think the new dean will face, and the ideal qualities and skills you think the committee should look for in reviewing candidates for the position. The committee will treat all comments received by the search committee in strictest confidence.
In collaboration with our executive search firm, there will also be a process of consultation with senior administration, and with faculty, staff and student leaders in the Faculty of Science. We will soon be asking them to complete a brief online survey. I encourage members of the Faculty of Science to take the time to participate in this questionnaire to aid the committee in its mandate to find the best possible dean.
We will continue to provide you with updates as the search progresses.
Chair, Faculty of Science Decanal Search Committee
The members of the Faculty of Science Decanal Search Committee are as follows:
- Jerry Tomberlin, Chair and Interim Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
- Fred Afagh, Interim Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Design
- Val Pereboom, Professional Services Staff Representative; Executive Assistant to the Dean, Faculty of Science
- Andrea Lawrance, Vice-President (Research and International) Representative; Interim Director, Carleton Office for Research Initiatives and Services
- Erin Vanzyl, Graduate Student Representative, Department of Biology
- Doug Howe, Professor and Director, School of Computer Science
- Jenny Bruin, Assistant Professor, Department of Biology
- Kevin Cheung, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Rowan Thomson, Associate Professor, Department of Physics
- Anatoli Ianoul, Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Michael Hildebrand, Assistant Professor, Department of Neuroscience
Committee Support: Laverne Smith, Laverne Smith & Associates, Executive Search Consultant; Greg Bugler, Human Resources Partner, Rosemary O’Hearn, Executive Assistant to the Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
More News Posts
Librarian II – Discovery Systems Librarian
Field of Specialization: Discovery Systems Librarian Academic Unit: Library – Systems Department Category of Appointment: Preliminary (Confirmation-Track) Rank/Position Title: Librarian II Start Date: May 1, 2019 Closing Date: Review... More
Building on Indigenous Initiatives
The three co chairs of Carleton University’s Indigenous Strategic Initiatives Committee (CUISIC) have appointed the members who will consult widely in coming months on a concrete action plan to remove systemic... More
Carleton University Indigenous Strategic Initiatives Committee (CUISIC) Update
To All Members of the Carleton Community, Earlier this fall, President Benoit-Antoine Bacon announced that Carleton would convene a broad and inclusive committee to revitalize our Indigenous strategy and re-energize... More
Assistant Professor – Architecture and Urbanism (Design and Architectural Conservation)
Field of Specialization: Design and Architectural Conservation Academic Unit: Architecture and Urbanism Category of Appointment: Preliminary (Tenure-Track) Rank/Position Title: Assistant Professor Start Date: July 1, 2019 Closing Date: January... More