To all Members of the Carleton Community,
I am pleased to announce the constitution of the advisory search committee for the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Design.
Thank you to all who submitted your names and/or forwarded nominations for membership on this committee. Executive search consultant Laverne Smith, from Laverne Smith & Associates Inc., will assist the committee. Our first meeting was last week and we will meet again in the fall in order to prepare a recommendation for the president in the winter semester. The intended start date for the new dean is July 1, 2019.
The committee invites members of the Carleton community to offer information through a brief online survey by June 20, 2018 that will help to inform the process. The committee will treat all comments received in strictest confidence.
I encourage members of the Carleton community to take the time to participate in this questionnaire to aid the committee in its mandate to find the best possible dean.
We will continue to provide you with updates as the search progresses.
The members of the committee are as follows:
- Jerry Tomberlin, Interim Provost and Vice-President (Academic) and Chair, FED Search Committee
- Onita Basu, Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (faculty representative)
- Tristan Durie, President, Carleton Student Engineering Society (undergraduate student representative)
- Ahmed Hassan, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (graduate student representative)
- Chris Joslin, Associate Professor, Director and IMD Coordinator, School of Information Technology (faculty representative)
- Thomas Kunz, Professor, Department of Systems and Computer Engineering (faculty representative)
- Charles Macdonald, Incoming Dean, Faculty of Science (dean representative)
- Michel Nakhla, Chancellor’s Professor, Department of Electronics (faculty representative)
- Karen Schwartz, Acting Associate Vice-President (Research and International) (senior administration representative)
- Andrew Speirs, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (faculty representative)
- Jill Stoner, Professor and Director, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism (faculty representative)
- Jennifer Wolters, Assistant Director (Acting), Faculty Advancement-Engineering (professional services staff representative)
- School of Industrial Design faculty representative (vacant seat)
Committee support: Laverne Smith, Laverne Smith & Associates, Executive Search Consultant; Rosemary Graves, Human Resources Partner; Rosemary O’Hearn, Executive Assistant to the Provost and Vice-President (Academic).
Chair, Faculty of Engineering and Design Decanal Search Committee
More News Posts
Board of Governors Unanimously Approves Collective Agreement with CUASA
June 21, 2018 To all Members of the Carleton Community, Carleton University’s Board of Governors have unanimously approved a new, four-year collective agreement with the Carleton University Academic Staff Association.... More
Fulbright Canada Research Chair in North American Integration
Academic Unit: Political Science Category of Appointment: Research Chair Field of Specialization: North American Integration Rank/Position Title: Fulbright Canada Research Chair in North American Integration Start Date: September 2019 or... More
Fulbright Canada Research Chair in Canada-U.S. Relations
Academic Unit: Norman Paterson School of International Affairs Category of Appointment: Research Chair Field of Specialization: Canada-U.S. Relations Rank/Position Title: Fulbright Canada Research Chair in Canada-U.S. Relations Start Date: September... More