Carleton University is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. L Pauline Rankin as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences for a five-year term commencing July 1, 2018. Dr. Rankin is currently on administrative leave from her position as Associate Vice-President (Research and International), where she is responsible for revitalizing and advancing Carleton’s internationalization agenda. She completed undergraduate studies at the University of Toronto and holds an MA in Canadian Studies and PhD in Political Science from Carleton. She has a substantial record of university leadership, including as Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Affairs) in FASS and as a former director of both the Pauline Jewett Institute of Women’s and Gender Studies and the School of Indigenous and Canadian Studies.
Dr. Rankin is a political scientist with an appointment as Professor in the School of Indigenous and Canadian Studies. Her research spans various aspects of gender and politics, with specific interest in domestic and global applications of gender mainstreaming and gender activism. Most recently, she was co-editor of We Still Demand: Redefining Resistance in Sex and Gender Struggles (UBC Press, 2016). She has extensive experience in gender and development projects, offering strategic advice and capacity-building training to governments and NGOs in Russia, Ukraine, China, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Tunisia, South Africa, Turkey, and throughout the South Caucasus. She currently serves as gender consultant on a Global Affairs Canada project focused on young women and economic empowerment in Jordan. She is also the recipient of multiple teaching accolades, including a Carleton University Teaching Achievement Award.
I would like to thank the members of the Search Committee (see below for membership) for their dedication and diligent work in completing a successful search process. In addition, on behalf of the Carleton community, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to Wallace Clement, the Interim Dean of FASS, for stepping in these past two years as dean, and for his leadership and commitment to our faculty and our university.
Interim Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Decanal Search Committee 2017-18
- Jerry Tomberlin, Interim Provost and Vice-President (Academic), and Chair
- Lily Akagbosu, CUSA Undergraduate Student Representative
- Michael Brklacich, Chancellor’s Professor, Geography & Environmental Studies, and Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Studies)
- Sandra Crocker, Associate Vice-President (Research Planning and Operations)
- Randall Gess, Professor and Joint Chair, Department of French
- Darlene Gilson, Research Facilitator, FASS
- Kahente Horn-Miller, Assistant Professor, School of Indigenous and Canadian Studies
- Ed Kane, Assistant Vice-President (University Services)
- Joy Mighty, Associate Vice-President (Teaching and Learning)
- James Miller, Associate Professor, Department of History
- André Plourde, Dean, Faculty of Public Affairs
- Joanna Pozzulo, Professor and Chair, Department of Psychology
Committee Support: Laverne Smith, Laverne Smith & Associates, Executive Search Consultant; Greg Bugler, Human Resources Partner; Rosemary O’Hearn, Executive Assistant to the Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
More News Posts
Maxwell MacOdrum Library (Subject Area Coordinator – Arts and Social Sciences) – Librarian
Academic Unit: Maxwell MacOdrum Library Category of Appointment: Term (3 year) Rank/Position Title: Subject Area Coordinator - Arts and Social Sciences Start Date: August 15, 2018 Closing Date: Applications will... More
Maxwell MacOdrum Library (Cataloguing and Metadata) – Librarian
Field of Specialization: Cataloguing and Metadata Academic Unit: Maxwell MacOdrum Library Category of Appointment: Term (One Year) Rank/Position Title: Librarian Start Date: August 15, 2018 Closing Date: Applications will be... More