To All Members of the Carleton Community,
Last fall, the university undertook an external review of the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic)’s operations and portfolio. In line with recommendations and best practice, the role of the Provost was expanded to include oversight of the operating budget, strategic planning, and academic relations with CUASA, CUPE 4600 Units 1 and 2, and PSAC 77000. We are now implementing organizational changes in our office to reflect these new responsibilities, effective July 1, 2019.
Office of the Deputy Provost (Academic Operations and Planning)
The new Office of the Deputy Provost (Academic Operations and Planning) will provide a cohesive approach to academic operations and planning, including academic relations. The office will be led by Lorraine Dyke, who was recently appointed Deputy Provost (Academic Operations and Planning). She will be supported by the academic labour relations professional services staff who have moved from Human Resources and by Faculty Affairs staff, including:
- Amy Wyse, Director, Labour Relations (Academic)
- Catarina Barroso, Labour Relations Officer (Academic)
- Norah Vollmer, Manager, Faculty Affairs
- Faculty Systems Functional Analyst (Greg Skazyk until July 19)
Amy has recently been appointed Director, Labour Relations (Academic) after having served in an acting capacity in the role for the past few months.
Greg’s last day at Carleton will be July 19, as he is relocating to Prince Edward Island. We wish him all the best and thank him for his contributions to the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) over the last four years.
Lorraine will be supported by a planning manager. On August 6, we will welcome Justin Mihalic into this position. Justin is currently the budget manager in the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic) at Queen’s University. Justin’s portfolio at Carleton will include both budgeting and strategic planning and he will work closely with the Resource Planning Committee Chairs and the Provost’s Budget Working Group to facilitate the budget planning cycle for the university.
Other changes in the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
Assistant Vice-President (Academic) Dwight Deugo was recently appointed Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President (Academic). His current position as Assistant Vice-President (Academic) will not be filled at this time. Otherwise, the structure of the Office of the Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President (Academic) remains the same.
- The Discovery Centre for Undergraduate Research and Engagement, which formerly reported into the Office of the Provost, will now be part of the portfolio of Teaching and Learning Services. David Hornsby, Associate Vice-President (Teaching and Learning), will take over responsibility of the Discovery Centre with the support of the Discovery Centre Administrator.
- The Office of Institutional Research and Planning (OIRP), which formerly reported into the Office of the Vice-President (Finance and Administration), will now report to the Office of the Provost and work closely with the Office of the Deputy Provost.
- Jane van den Dries, Communications Officer, has completed a one-year term and has been appointed in this role on a continuing basis.
An updated organizational chart for the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) is available online.
As we move into the next academic year, please join me in extending a warm welcome to a number of new Chairs, Directors and Associate Deans, who will begin their terms on July 1. An updated Academic Heads Directory is available on our website.
We will also welcome three new Deans on July 1: Dana Brown in the Sprott School of Business, Patrice Smith in the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs and Larry Kostiuk in the Faculty of Engineering and Design. We wish them great success in their new roles.
As a number of Chairs and Directors in the academic sector prepare to finish their terms on July 1, I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to them for their leadership in these important roles. I would also like to thank outgoing Deans Linda Schweitzer, Matthias Neufang and Fred Afagh, and Discovery Centre Director Alan Steele, for their contributions, collaborative leadership and dedication to Carleton.
Provost and Vice-President (Academic)