What is Lean?
Lean is a methodology that understands value from a customer perspective by focusing on improving processes that deliver value. In order to improve a process from a Lean perspective; it needs to be understood at the value stream level – which requires mapping out the steps in the value stream and then identifying opportunities for improvement by eliminating the waste. The goal with the Lean approach to Process Improvement is to provide value to customers through effective processes that contain minimal or no waste.
The 5 principles of Lean
- Specify value – understand the product/service from the customer perspective
- Map the flow of value – using Value Stream Mapping activities
- Make value flow – by eliminating waste
- Pull from the customer – only delivering what the customer demands
- Seek perfection – continuously improving
Other Lean FAQs