The Carleton University Senate approved the use of Satisfactory (SAT) and Unsatisfactory (UNS) grades in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Students were able to change any/all of their final grades for Winter 2020 to SAT, and 0.5 credit per term or 1.0 credit full year course during the Fall 2020, Winter 2021, Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 terms. The use of SAT and UNS grades were approved again for Winter 2023 term courses and full-year Fall/Winter 2022/203 term courses in response to the CUPE 4600 labor disruption.

In all of these terms, courses with a final grade of F were automatically converted to UNS. Following the Winter 2023 term, SAT and UNS compassionate grading is no longer available.

Requesting SAT

The final deadline to request grades be converted to SAT was June 30, 2023. If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar’s Office at

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to frequently asked questions are listed below in the following categories:

    • SAT/UNS versus letter grades
    • The implications of SAT grades on current academic progress
    • More information for graduate students

SAT/UNS versus letter grades

Implications of SAT/UNS Grades

Long-term implications of selecting SAT instead of a letter grade