How do I change my major?

You can declare or change your major within your degree program. This can be done through the Change of Program Elements (COPE) in Carleton Central. Your application will be submitted to and processed by the Registrar’s Office.

**Please note: Changing your major within a degree program is different from applying to a new degree. If you are looking to change degree programs, please see Changing your degree.

Examples of a Change of Major in a BA include (but not limited to):

English to French
Geography to Political Science
Film Honours to Film General

Examples of a Change of Major in B. Sc. include (but not limited to):

Chemistry to Physics
Biology to Geology
Neuroscience to Integrated Science

If you are having trouble deciding what major you would like to choose, it would be a good idea to see an academic advisor. By meeting with an advisor, you will discuss your eligibility and will help you identify the effect that changing a major will have on your academic plans.

An academic advisor can also run a ‘What-if’ audit to see how your new program elements would change your audit. You can also run a ‘What-if’ audit yourself, for more information visit our how-to page.