Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is an assessment tool used to evaluate your academic performance. It is calculated to determine a student’s current standing both Overall (this includes all courses counting towards the degree) and in the Major(s) (this includes only courses required for the Major) as well as minors, concentrations and specializations.
Carleton University’s Grade Point Scale:
|Grade points for 1.0 credits||Grade Points for 0.5 credits||Percentage Equivalency|
|A+ = 12.0||A+ = 6.0||90-100%|
|A = 11.0||A = 5.5||85-89%|
|A- = 10.0||A- = 5.0||80-84%|
|B+ = 9.0||B+ = 4.5||77-79%|
|B = 8.0||B = 4.0||73-76%|
|B- = 7.0||B- = 3.5||70-72%|
|C+ = 6.0||C+ = 3.0||67-69%|
|C = 5.0||C = 2.5||63-66%|
|C- = 4.0||C- = 2.0||60-62%|
|D+ = 3.0||D+ = 1.5||57-59%|
|D = 2.0||D = 1.0||53-56%|
|D- = 1.0||D- = 0.5||50-52%|
|F = 0.0||F = 0.0||0-49%|
Your CGPA is the number of grade points earned to the total credit value of courses you have taken.
Did you know?
• Your CGPA is calculated both Overall (this includes all courses counting towards the degree) and in your Major (this includes only courses counting for the Major)
- F grades are included in the CGPA calculation(s) until they are removed through course repetition or replacement. When a course is repeated, the most recent grade is used.
- All credits earned through the University of Ottawa Exchange agreement are included in the CGPA calculations, but courses completed at any other university (through Letter of Permission or Exchange) are not.
- Courses listed as Extra to the Degree (ETD), No Credit for the Degree (NCD), Forfeit, and Transfer credits (TR) are not included in the calculation of your CGPAs.
- CGPAs are calculated for any program element [including Major(s), Minor(s), Concentration, and Specialization] in the same way, using only the courses in the program element.