Institute for Migration Research and Intercultural Studies (IMIS), University of Osnabrück, Germany.
Human cross-border mobility, international cooperation, EU integration, and the nexus of migration (politics) and development (politics).
Dates of the visit: September 10 – December 30, 2011
Contribution to University activities:
- Taught PSCI 5609 / EURR 5106 Governing Europe’s Neighbours: The External Justice Dimension of EU Justice and Home Affairs and PSCI 4809 The Politics of International Migration Management
- Contribution to the Research Seminar “Migration, Theory and Politics” (Chair: William Walters), Migration Management: Old and New Governmentalities of Migration, Department of Political Science, Carleton University
- Guest Lecture on Managing Migration in the EU’s European Neighbourhood Carleton University- October 12
- Moderated Roundtable Discussion – Managing Migration in the 21st Century: Policy Options for Canada and Europe, Carleton University – November 1
- Introduction and Panel Co-Chair – Managing Migration. Critical Theoretical and Empirical Contributions – International Studies Association (ISA) Northeast, Annual Conference 2011, Providence RI, USA – November 3
- Brown Bag Lunch Seminar – From Migration Governance to Migration Management. International Organizations and the Regulation of Migration (Focus Europe) – European Union Center of Excellence, Université de Montréal and Hans and Tamar Oppenheimer Chair, McGill University, Montréal – November 15
- Paper presentation of Micheline van Riemsdijk: “Obstacles to Free Movement in the European Union” (Discussant together with Anne Staver) “Free Movement and Discrimination. The European Union in Comparative Perspective“, Conference at Glendon College, York University, Toronto – November 28
- Guest Lecture – “International Organizations in the Management of Migration: The EU and its European Neighborhood“ European Union Centre of Excellence, Centre for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto – November 28
- Guest Lecture – “Managing Migration at the Rims of Europe” York University, Toronto, European Union Centre of Excellence and Centre for Refugee Studies – November 29
- Guest Lecture – “Managing Migration at the Rims of Europe“ Dalhousie University, Halifax, European Union Centre of Excellence and Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology – December 2
- EU Law Workshop – “Securitization of Migration in Germany and Europe: What Role for Non-EU-Institutions?“ at “Securitization in Germany and in the EU. Legal and Policy Implications for Canada“, Canadian Centre for German & European Studies & EU Centre of Excellence, York University, Toronto – December 3