Q. When and how do I apply?

A. Please visit Carleton’s Graduate Admissions page.

There are also deadlines to be considered for funding – refer to the Funding section below.

Q. What are the entrance requirements for the EURUS MA?

A. EURUS welcomes applicants who have a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degree, with appropriate area studies and language background. Applicants lacking appropriate area studies background may be admitted with additional coursework or admitted to a Qualifying Year program.

In order to apply you will need to submit a signed and completed application form, a letter of interest, two official transcripts and the application fee.

For program specific requirements please visit the EURUS Graduate Calendar.

Q. What should I include in my letter of interest?

A. A letter of interest should include information regarding your area, thematic and research interests, what drew you to EURUS, and your previous engagement with the region, both in terms of academic experience as well as other spheres such as work and travel.

Q. When do I need to choose a concentration?

A. There are two concentrations in EURUS: European and European Union Studies OR Russian and Eurasian Studies. You do not need to select a concentration when you apply. For those uncertain of which concentration best suits their interests, the decision will be made in consultation with the Institute director in the summer before entry.

Q. What type of language background in required?

A. EURUS will work with all students to meet the language requirement (a written translation exam or equivalent coursework) for graduation. Some students have entered without experience in a regional language (a major European language or Russian) and have taken language courses in the program and intensive training in the summer. Students with at least 1-2 years of language, however, will find the requirement can be met much more easily.


Q: How will I know if I am accepted?

A: You will receive an electronic offer from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies sometime in March.

Q: When do I have to accept my offer?

A: You have 21 days from the time you receive your acceptance letter.

Q: When do classes start?

A: Classes start in September, after Labour Day. The start date varies so you will have to check the Carleton Registrar’s website for the exact date when classes start.

Course Work & Registration

Q: What courses do I have to take?

A: The standard EURUS MA is 5.0 credits. A course lasting one term is 0.5 credits. The number of courses you are required to take will vary depending on whether you are doing a major research paper or a thesis. A research paper is 1.0 credit and would be combined with eight 0.5 credit courses to complete the MA. The thesis option is 2.0 credits and requires the completion of six 0.5 credit courses. In completing your course work only 1.0 credit, or 2 one term courses, may be at the undergraduate level (4000), while the remaining 4.0 credits must be at the graduate level (5000).

There are also course requirements specific to each stream in the EURUS MA (Russian, Eurasian and Transition Studies or European and European Union Studies). Students in both streams are required to take the appropriate two-semester core seminar (EURR 5001A/B and EURR 5200 or 5300). You must also complete 1.0 credit in course work from the concentration course list specific to each stream (see below). Remaining credits are electives, which you may fill with courses at the appropriate level.

Examples of courses are:

Russian, Eurasian and Transition Studies: Concentration Course List

  • EURR 4101 – The Balkans
  • EURR 4205/PSCI 4501 – Gender & Politics in Post Communist Societies
  • EURR 4207/PSCI 4503 – Politics of Central Eurasia
  • EURR 4208/PSCI 4601 – Foreign Policies of Soviet Successor States
  • EURR 5107 – Russia and the New World Order
  • EURR 5203/4203 (HIST 5603/4603) – Imperial and Soviet Russia

European and European Union Studies: Concentration Course List

  • EURR 4106/PSCI 4609 – Selected Topics in European Integration Studies
  • EURR 5003/4003 – Social and Political Perspectives in Europe
  • EURR 5105 – European Economic Integration
  • EURR 5106/PSCI 5609 – Special Topics in European Integration Studies
  • EURR 5108/PSCI 5103 – Canada-EU Relations (Summers Only)
  • EURR 5302 – EU Study Tour

These listings are of the most popular course offerings, for a complete list of courses and descriptions refer to the EURUS Graduate Calendar.

Q: Do I have to take all EURUS courses?

A: No, you may take courses from other departments such as NPSIA, Political Science or History. Before registration the Institute will distribute a list of all courses that may be taken for credit towards a EURUS degree, and students may petition for courses that are not on that list.

Q: How do I register for non-EURUS courses?

A: Often you will have to ask for permission to access non-EURUS courses. Contact the EURUS administrator, Heather Moulton, for this permission. If there is a wait list, the best option is to go to the first class and speak with the professor.

Q: When do I have to register for my courses?

A: Registration occurs over the summer, typically in July. You will register online.

Q: Do I have to pay tuition over the summer?

A: For domestic students, you will not have to pay tuition over the summer in your first year, as long as you wait to register for the Thesis or Research Paper option until the Fall term of your second year. Once you register for these courses you will pay tuition for every term until you graduate. International students should contact the International Student Services Office for information on registration status.

Q: How long do I have to complete the degree?

A: Typically, students complete the EURUS MA program in two years. However, this timeline may vary. For example, every co-op work term completed extends the time you have to complete your degree. If you complete a total of 12 months of co-op, you may complete your EURUS MA in three years. Some students choose to take evening classes throughout co-op in order to graduate early. Since many EURUS students do take part in co-op, the EURUS program tries to offer a variety of evening classes each semester to accommodate.


Q: How can I get funding?

A: Every applicant to EURUS is automatically considered for funding, either in the form of Research or Teaching Assistantships and/or scholarships. Funding is competitive. Due to limited funds, not every applicant will receive funding. You may also apply for external funding. See Carleton’s external awards webpage here. Students not awarded can still apply for out of priority TA.

Additionally, EURUS has internal bursaries that will be awarded in the Winter.

Common external scholarships are the Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS) and the Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS, administered through SSHRC). You can also view Carleton’s webpages for the OGS and SSHRC awards. Note that deadlines are early!

Q: How does my funding work? When and how much do I get paid? Will I be paid in the summer?

A: All funding packages are different. You will begin receiving payment from September of your first term. Whether you receive funding in the summer is dependent on your funding package. You can see information about your funding terms and conditions through your Carleton Central account.

Q: Where can I get specific information about my funding?

A: Contact Heather Moulton and/or the Faculty of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Affairs.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Q: When will I find out about my TA/RA position?

A: In your letter of acceptance you will indicate whether you prefer a TA or RA position. In August, you may be asked for further details regarding your preference and you will be informed as to your position. You will find out further details regarding your position and duties in early September.

Q: Does everyone get a TA/RA-ship?

A: No, the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Post-Doctoral Affairs determine how many TA and RA positions are available in each department based on need. EURUS then allocates these positions to selected incoming students, based on GPA and other qualifications.