Funding Through Carleton

We provide our top-ranked domestic and international students with substantial financial assistance in the form of teaching and/or research assistantships and scholarships based on academic excellence. Applications received prior to February 1st will automatically be considered for financial assistance. Space permitting, applications received after February 1st may be considered for financial assistance. For additional information on scholarships, visit the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs website.

Bursaries are available to current students from the Institute of European, Russian and Eurasian Studies, and the Centre for European Studies (CES) offers some students research assistantships.

Funding from other Organizations

In addition, there are a number of outside organizations that offer awards tenable at Carleton. These awards are available to Canadians and landed immigrants. Examples include the fellowships awarded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), the Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS), and the Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS).

Finally, Ontario residents who are Canadian citizens or landed immigrants (permanent residents) can apply for financial aid from the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). This offers Canadian and Ontario students loans based on financial need, and study grants. Application forms and a brochure containing details of the plan, including conditions of eligibility, may be obtained from the Awards Office at Carleton University.

International Students

The Institute has a number of assistantships which enable international students to pay fees at the Canadian domestic level. In addition, the Ontario government has instituted a program of awards to permit some international students to pay Canadian fees. Students with high academic standing are automatically considered for these assistantships and awards.