- What is Fall Orientation?
Fall Orientation is a week of engaging programming which takes place during September 6 to 11, 2020. By participating in Fall Orientation, students will have the ability to become familiar with the campus and participate in exciting activities. It provides for a successful transition into university and fosters new relationships among participants before the start of classes. Fall Orientation provides student volunteers who can guide first-year students in the right direction based on their experiences.
- When does Fall Orientation take place?
Fall Orientation takes place Sunday, September 6th to Friday, September 11th, 2020.
The only exception is the Engineering Fall Orientation Program which runs from until Sunday, September 13th.
- Is it mandatory that I participate in Fall Orientation?
Fall Orientation programming is not mandatory but highly encouraged. It is a great opportunity to meet students in your year, connect with upper-year students, attend fun events, and kickstart your experience at Carleton.
However, Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 is Academic Orientation Day and is the ONLY mandatory (and free) day for students to participate. International students and exchange students must also register for a one-day orientation session with the International Student Services Office- please find more information on the ISSO website.
- How will social-distancing rules affect programming?
Carleton University will continue to follow Ottawa Public Health recommendations to keep students safe. Fall Orientation will feature mostly virtual programming.
- What is the difference between the Fall Orientation Programs?
The Centralized Fall Orientation is the largest program as it is open to all students.
The Business Fall Orientation program is designed for students entering their first year in the Sprott School of Business.
Finally, the Engineering Fall Orientation is for new students in Engineering, Architecture, Industrial Design and Information Technology.
If you are in the Faculty of Engineering and Design, you will be placed in the Engineering program and if you are in the Sprott School of Business, you will be placed in the Business program until capacity for these specialized programs is reached. After capacity is reached for the specialized programs, all Fall Orientation registrations will be for the centralized Fall Orientation program.
- How much does Fall Orientation cost?
The Centralized Fall Orientation program, Business Fall Orientation program, and Engineering Fall Orientation program is $49.99 + HST (60% in savings from past years!)
We are committed to have all students who want to participate in Fall Orientation to have the ability to do so. If you require financial assistance to participate in Fall Orientation, please do not hesitate to connect with us by emailing email@example.com.
- What is included in my Fall Orientation registration fee, and what do I get in my kit?
All registered participants will receive:
- Ravens Starter Kit containing your official Classic Black Ravens Hoodie (or faculty Classic Sweater), CU Throwback gear and other Ravens essentials. (available for shipping or curb-side pick-up)
- Access to numerous virtual activities where you can meet and interact with fellow first-year students.
- Virtual access to many entertainment events including our annual orientation concert.
- All Fall Orientation virtual events will be password protected; registrants will receive exclusive access to participate.
- Will Orientation Kit / Ravens Starter Kit be available for shipping or pick-up?
Ravens Starter Kits will be available for shipping ($15 shipping fee for Ontario, $25 shipping fee for rest of Canada, $45 for Out-of-Country/International). Kits will be available for mail out by mid-August. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about tracking your shipment.
Free curb-side pick-up will be available for students in Ottawa; will be available after August 18th. A notification will be sent to registrants who select this option with the opportunity to register for a pick-up day and time.
Arrangements can also be made to pick up your kit from campus at a future date. Please contact us at email@example.com to make arrangements.
- How will I know when my Ravens Starter Kit has been mailed?
Registrants will receive an automated email from Canada Post when their Ravens Starter Kit has been picked up for delivery. They will also be able to track their parcel through Canada Post with the information sent by email.
- How do I access my Ravens Starter Kit by curb-side pick-up?
All registrants who select free curb-side pick-up will be contacted once their kit is ready. Curb-side pick-up will begin the week of August 18th until September 11th with students being able to sign up for specific pick-up blocks of 30 minutes to ensure proper social distancing. Details will be sent by email.
Arrangements can also be made to pick up your kit from campus at a future date after Fall Orientation. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
- Classes start September 9th - will I have to miss classes to participate in Fall Orientation week?
Activities will run in the evening once classes start, as such students will not miss classes.
- I am an off-campus student, can I participate in the program?
Yes! Fall Orientation week is for first-year students living on campus, off-campus, and out-of-town. Majority of programming will be virtual with a mixture of presentations and interactive opportunities. Many presentations and events will be required and available for streaming to accommodate participants in different timezones.
All activations will require a Fall Orientation password which will be communicated daily to registered participants.
- Why are there teams during Fall Orientation? Who will I be on a team with?
We will be using teams to organize the number of participants for each event/program. Teams are all formed in advance, we do our best to put resident students together based on building and floor. The formation of teams will also give you a chance to interact more directly with other first year students.
- As a new student, where can I find more information about Carleton?
Visit Pathways to Graduation! Pathways is designed to help guide you along a path to graduation that is right for you. Explore your current phase and let the success pillars guide you toward graduation!