Updates Regarding the 2021-22 Practicum and Internship Program
Placements in the practicum and internship program are not guaranteed, regardless of availability. You should always enrol in a back-up course in case you are not accepted into FILM 4805 or 5908.
Some or all placements may not be available in Fall 2021 and/or Winter 2022 because of the ongoing public health restrictions. More information regarding available placements will be posted here in early August. Please check back then.
The Undergraduate Practicum (FILM 4805) offers fourth-year Honours BA students practical film- and media-related experience, providing opportunities to work with Ottawa-area arts institutions, companies, and associations. It gives students the opportunity to put the skills and knowledge they’ve learned at the university into practice, critically reflect on the work performed by local film and media institutions, and gain additional skills.
Many of our students have gotten jobs after graduation based on the experience, skills, and connections they developed during their Practicum experience.
We have Practicum opportunities available at the following organizations and are always cultivating new partnerships:
* FILM FESTIVALS: Canadian Film Institute (run by a Carleton instructor!); Ottawa International Animation Festival (run by Carleton grads!); InsideOut Ottawa LGBT Film Festival; One World Film Festival; Digi60 Filmmakers’ Festival
* ARCHIVES & MUSEUMS: Library and Archives Canada; Ingenium: Canada’s Museum of Science & Innovation; Carleton Audio-Visual Resource Centre (AVRC)
* PRODUCTION RELATED: Digital Art Resource Centre (run by Carleton grads!); Independent Film Co-operative of Ottawa (run by a Carleton grad!); Ottawa Film Office
- Fourth-year standing
- Minimum overall GPA 9.0 within Major
- Students may only do a Practicum for one semester, earning 0.5 credits.
- Students studying within the Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Film Studies or on exchange at Carleton are not eligible for a Practicum.
- Fall Practicum – August 20th
- Winter Practicum – November 19th
- Summer Practicum – March 18th
If you are interested in doing a Practicum, please read through the following documents:
- Consult the available positions posted above and decide on your top three choices.
- Request an override for the course via Carleton Central.
- Prepare a resume tailored to the job description.
- Email application form and polished resume to Prof. Aubrey Anable at firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
- Once the applications have been received, I will suggest a match and forward your application to an institution.
- If the institution is interested, the on-site supervisor will interview you and contact me with their decision.
- If you are accepted, I will instruct the Undergraduate Administrator to approve your course override. You should then enroll in the course via Carleton Central.
- Meet with the on-site supervisor to determine your hours and core duties and to fill out the required forms. You must give the completed forms to the Undergraduate Administrator (SP 423 or email email@example.com) no later than the first week of the semester.
For more information, contact:
Professor Aubrey Anable
Undergraduate Supervisor, Practicum & Internship Coordinator
Note: Students must obtain health and safety training from their placement employer. Please report any health and safety concerns related to unpaid work placements to Professor Anable and Tony Lackey, Director of Risk and Insurance at Carleton University.