The Undergraduate Practicum (FILM 4805/4806/4807) offers fourth-year film majors practical film- and media-related experience, providing opportunities to work with Ottawa area arts institutions, companies, and associations. It gives students the opportunity to put the skills and knowledge they’ve learned at the university into practice, critically reflect on the important work performed by local film and media institutions, and gain additional skills.
Many of our students have gotten jobs after graduation based on the experience, skills, and connections they developed during their Practicum experience.
We have Practicum opportunities available at the following organizations and are always cultivating new partnerships:
* FILM FESTIVALS: Canadian Film Institute (run by a Carleton instructor!); InsideOut Ottawa LGBT Film Festival; One World Film Festival; Ottawa International Animation Festival (run by Carleton grads!)
* ARCHIVES & MUSEUMS: Library and Archives Canada; Canadian War Museum; Carleton Audio-Visual Resource Centre (AVRC)
* PRODUCTION RELATED: SAW Video Media Art Centre (run by Carleton grads!); Independent Film Co-operative of Ottawa (run by a Carleton grad!); Ottawa Film Office; Parktown Studios
- Fall Practicum – August 22
- Winter Practicum – November 21
- Summer Practicum – March 31
If you are interested in doing a Practicum, please read through the following documents:
- Carleton Film Undergrad Practicum Syllabus as of December 2017 (PDF)
- Carleton Film Undergrad Practicum Syllabus as of December 2017 (MS Word version)
- Available Practicum & Internships 2017-2018 as of Aug 22
- Application Form
- Consult the available positions posted above and decide on your top three choices.
- Request an override for the course via Carleton Central.
- Prepare a resume and have it reviewed by Career Services’ Drop-In Review Service (401 Tory, M-F 8:30-4:30). This step is required! The resume must be polished and tailored to the desired job.
- Email application form and polished resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
- Once the applications have been received, I will suggest a match and forward your application to an institution.
- If the institution is interested, the on-site supervisor will interview you and contact me with their decision.
- If you are accepted, I will instruct the Undergraduate Administrator to approve your course override. You should then enroll in the course via Carleton Central.
- Meet with the on-site supervisor to determine your hours and core duties and to fill out the required forms. You must give the completed forms to the Undergraduate Administrator (SP 423) no later than the first week of the semester.
Forms for starting a practicum:
- Practicum & Internship Agreement Form
Forms for wrapping up a practicum:
- Supervisor Evaluation Form as of Dec 2017 (Due 7 days after last day of Practicum)
Positions available in previous years:
For more information, contact:
Professor Laura Horak
Undergraduate Supervisor, Practicum & Internship Coordinator
Tel. 613-520-2600 x4010
Note: Students must obtain health and safety training from their placement employer. Please report any health and safety concerns related to unpaid work placements to Professor Horak and Tony Lackey, Director of Risk and Insurance at Carleton University.