The Undergraduate Practicum (FILM 4805) offers fourth-year Honours BA students practical film- and media-related experience, providing opportunities to work with Ottawa-area arts institutions, companies, and associations. It gives students the opportunity to put the skills and knowledge they’ve learned at the university into practice, critically reflect on the work performed by local film and media institutions, and gain additional skills.
Many of our students have gotten jobs after graduation based on the experience, skills, and connections they developed during their Practicum experience.
We have Practicum opportunities available at the following organizations and are always cultivating new partnerships:
* FILM FESTIVALS: Canadian Film Institute (run by a Carleton instructor!); Ottawa International Animation Festival (run by Carleton grads!); InsideOut Ottawa LGBT Film Festival; One World Film Festival; Digi60 Filmmakers’ Festival
* ARCHIVES & MUSEUMS: Ingenium: Canada’s Museums of Science & Innovation; Carleton Audio-Visual Resource Centre (AVRC)
* PRODUCTION RELATED: SAW Video Media Art Centre (run by Carleton grads!); Independent Film Co-operative of Ottawa (run by a Carleton grad!); Parktown Studios
- Fourth-year standing
- Minimum overall GPA: 9.0
- Students may only do a Practicum for one semester, earning 0.5 credits.
- Students studying within the Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Film Studies or on exchange at Carleton are not eligible for a Practicum.
- Fall Practicum – August 22
- Winter Practicum – November 21
- Summer Practicum – March 31
If you are interested in doing a Practicum, please read through the following documents:
- Carleton Film Undergrad Practicum Syllabus as of December 2017 (PDF)
- Available Practicum & Internships 2019-2020 as of August 7
- Application Form
- Consult the available positions posted above and decide on your top three choices.
- Request an override for the course via Carleton Central.
- Prepare a resume and have it reviewed by Career Services’ Drop-In Review Service (401 Tory, M-F 8:30-4:30). This step is required! The resume must be polished and tailored to the desired job.
- Email application form and polished resume to email@example.com before the deadline.
- Once the applications have been received, I will suggest a match and forward your application to an institution.
- If the institution is interested, the on-site supervisor will interview you and contact me with their decision.
- If you are accepted, I will instruct the Undergraduate Administrator to approve your course override. You should then enroll in the course via Carleton Central.
- Meet with the on-site supervisor to determine your hours and core duties and to fill out the required forms. You must give the completed forms to the Undergraduate Administrator (SP 423) no later than the first week of the semester.
Forms for starting a practicum:
- Practicum & Internship Agreement Form
- 2019-20 Unpaid Placements Letter to Placement Employers
- 2019-20 Unpaid Placements Student Declaration of Understanding and Agreement
Forms for wrapping up a practicum:
- Supervisor Evaluation Form as of Dec 2017 (Due 7 days after last day of Practicum)
Positions available in previous years:
- Available Practicum & Internship Positions Summer 2019
- Available Practicum & Internship Positions 2017-2018
- Available Practicum & Internship Positions 2016-2017
For more information, contact:
Professor Laura Horak
Undergraduate Supervisor, Practicum & Internship Coordinator
Tel. 613-520-2600 x4010
Note: Students must obtain health and safety training from their placement employer. Please report any health and safety concerns related to unpaid work placements to Professor Horak and Tony Lackey, Director of Risk and Insurance at Carleton University.