Application deadlines:

  • Fall Internship – August 22
  • Winter Internship – November 21
  • Summer Internship – March 31

If you are interested in doing a Graduate Internship, please read through the following documents:

The Graduate Internship (FILM 5801) provides Film Studies MA students the opportunity to gain practical experience by working on film-related projects under the supervision of staff at a museum, gallery, archive, exhibition venue or government agency. It gives students the opportunity to put the skills and knowledge they’ve learned at the university into practice, critically reflect on the important work performed by local film and media institutions, and gain additional skills.

Many of our students have gotten jobs after graduation based on the experience, skills, and connections they developed during their Internships.

We currently have Internship opportunities available at the following organizations and are always cultivating new partnerships:


  • Canadian Film Institute (run by a Carleton instructor!)
  • InsideOut Ottawa LGBT Film Festival
  • One World Film
  • Ottawa International Animation Festival (founded and run by Carleton grads!)


  • Canadian War Museum
  • Carleton Audio-Visual Resource Centre (AVRC)


  • GAPC Entertainment
  • Independent Film Co-operative of Ottawa (run by a Carleton grad!)
  • Ottawa Film Office
  • Parktown Studios
  • SAW Video Media Art Centre (Run by a Carleton grad!)
  • Say Ten Productions
  • Skyward Kick Productions

Positions available in previous years:

For more information, contact:

Professor Laura Horak
Undergraduate Supervisor, Practicum & Internship Coordinator
Tel. 613-520-2600 x4010

Once you have been accepted to the Practicum program, please follow the instructions below:

All Carleton University students who are participating in unpaid placements that are part of their course requirements must fill out the two forms below. Please note: If you are not a registered student, you are not eligible for insurance coverage.

Step 1: Students must print and complete both forms:

Step 2: Students must return the signed forms to their departmental co-ordinator no later than Oct. 15 (fall term), Feb. 15 (winter term) and June 15 (summer term).

Step 3: Students must obtain health and safety training from their placement employer.

Questions about these forms should be directed to Laura Horak, the Practicum & Internship Coordinator

Please report any health and safety concerns related to unpaid work placements to Professor Horak and Tony Lackey, Director of Risk and Insurance at Carleton University.