1. How to Apply
  2. Study Permit Approval
  3. Travelling to and Arriving in Canada
  4. Applying for a Corrected Study Permit
  5. Learn More About Study Permits

This information was prepared by the ISSO’s Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) as required by the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. It has general information and answers some common questions. Please note:

  • It is not legal advice.
  • Citizenship, Immigration and Refugees Canada (IRCC) is the source of official information, including all recent updates and application forms.
  • Students should visit the ISSO for immigration information and advice based on their personal details.

How to Apply

You can begin your study permit application after the Carleton Admissions office sends you Student Information for a Study Permit. This is a page with information about you, Carleton, and your program of study. You will need this document again in the future, so file it in a safe place.

Your study permit application may be done either:

You will need these documents:

  • Completed IMM 1295 – Application for Study Permit Made Outside of Canada (a PDF form)
  • Letter of AcceptanceStudent Information for a Study Permit from Carleton University
  • Your passport — photocopy or scan
  • Proof that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees and living expenses for your first year at Carleton
  • Photo — digital if you apply online

You may also need:

  • Additional PDF forms, according to your country-specific checklist
  • A police certificate
  • Results of a medical exam
  • Custodian declaration — for students under 18 years of age
    • Note: Carleton University does not act as a custodian or assist in finding a custodian in Canada.

Whether it is listed or not, it is a good idea to include a study plan, especially if you are a mature student. Your study plan will explain:

  • Why you want to study in Canada, and how you chose your program
  • Your overall educational goals
  • Why you are not studying in your home country
  • How your studies in Canada will improve your employment opportunities in your home country
  • Your ties to your home country (why you will return after you finish studying in Canada)

If you have been working, include your Curriculum Vitae (résumé).

If you are coming to Canada for the first time, you will have to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photo). IRCC will send instructions after you submit your study permit application.

Useful Links

Study Permit Approval

A Canadian visa office will decide about your application. If it is approved, the visa office sends you a Letter of Introduction. This is not your study permit. You will show this letter to a border services officer when you arrive in Canada.

Depending your passport country, you will also get:

  • A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) — this is laminated into your passport; or
  • An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

You cannot travel to Canada without one of these documents, unless you are a citizen of the United States of America. Find out if you need a TRV or an eTA.

Travelling to and Arriving in Canada

Pack these documents in your carry-on luggage so that they are easy to find:

  • Passport
  • Temporary Resident Visa or eTA
  • Letter of Introduction from the visa office
  • Your admission information from Carleton University

When you arrive at the airport in Canada, you will speak with a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer. Even though your study permit application was already approved, this officer makes the final decision to allow you to enter Canada.

Tell the officer that the purpose of your visit to Canada is to study. Show your documents and answer the officer’s questions clearly and simply.

The officer will prepare and print your study permit. You should look it over and ask any questions before you leave the immigration area of the airport. It is much easier to fix mistakes here, rather than later. You should look at:

  • Your personal information — Including your name, which should be the same as on your passport
  • The expiration date — This date may be:
    • About 90 days after you expect to finish your program at Carleton
    • The same as your passport expiry date
    • An earlier date, especially if you are studying English as a Second Language at first

If you don’t understand how the officer chose the expiry date, ask for an explanation.

  • The “Conditions” and “Remarks” areas. It is important that you understand this information. Also, if you are eligible to work as a student, then your study permit should have a sentence that starts with “May work…” or “May accept employment…”. You won’t be able to work if this sentence is missing. (Learn about your eligibility to work.)

Learn more about arriving in Canada.

Applying for a Corrected Study Permit

If the CBSA officer makes a mistake on your study permit and you don’t notice until later, you can apply for a corrected document. There is no cost for this application, but processing can be slow and you have to send your original study permit with the application.

Learn More About Study Permits

Who Needs a Study Permit?

How to Apply for a Study Permit Extension from Inside Canada

Study Permit Terms and Conditions

Carleton University Compliance Reports to IRCC