The Virtual Private Network (VPN) client software is required for access to Carleton University resources that are restricted to on-campus use. It provides a secure encrypted channel from your home to the campus and allows access to many campus resources.
- Go to: cuvpn.carleton.ca and login with your MC1 Username and Password.
- On the following page, click “Continue”.
- Click on the “Download for macOS” button.
- Open the Cisco AnyConnect file you just downloaded, the Install AnyConnect Security Client window will appear, click on Continue and accept the License agreement.In some circumstances depending on your computer system configuration, automatic installation may fail and you will be prompted to manually download installer package. Click “AnyConnect VPN” to continue.
- Depending on your browser:
- In Google Chrome, open the downloaded .exe file;
- In Microsoft Edge, click “Run” in the message bar at the bottom of the page; and
- In Mozilla Firefox, select “Save File” in the pop-up window. Click on the blue Downloads arrow in the top bar of the browser, and click on the downloaded file.
- Depending on your browser:
- Follow the prompts to run the Cisco Anyconnect Security Mobility Client Setup.
If a security message appears, click “Yes” to allow the software to be installed.
- In the future, to use the VPN Service, you can use the “Start Menu” item to launch the Cisco AnyConnect Security Mobility Client window. If the dropdown menu is empty, type cuvpn.carleton.ca and click “Connect”.
- Enter your MC1 Username and Password and click “OK” to login.
- You will be asked to Accept the terms/policy’s of Carleton University, to finish the connection you will have to click the “Accept” button. You will now be connected to Carleton’s network.
Manually Setting up Carleton’s VPN on a MacOS
- Open up System Preferences and select ‘Network’
- Under Network Preferences, click on the “+” icon
- Select the Interface as “VPN”, the VPN Type as “L2TP over IPSec”
You can leave the Service name as VPN (L2TP) or preface with Carleton, as shown.
- Click Create.
- Select VPN (L2TP) from the list on the left and enter the following details:
- Server Address: cuvpn-server.carleton.ca
- Account Name: username@cunet – i.e. this is your normal MC1 username with @cunet added to the end of it
- Check the tickbox “Show VPN status in menu bar” and “Apply”
- Next click on “Authentication Settings…” and enter the following:
- Password: this is your normal MyCarletonOne (MC1) password (Exchange, Cmail, cuLearn, Portal, etc.)
- Shared Secret:
Faculty/Staff can obtain the Shared Secret password by visiting this intranet webpage.
Students can obtain the Shared Secret password by visiting this intranet webpage.
If you are unable to access this page, please use your CU email to send your name and role/position at Carleton to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Group Name: CarletonIntranetVPN Note the capital ‘C’, ‘I’ and ‘VPN’. Also make sure it says Intranet not Internet!
- Click OK.
- Click on ‘Apply’ to save the changes when prompted.
- To establish a VPN connection, click on ‘Connect’ or use the VPN status icon in the menubar.
- You can now access Banner via banner.cunet.carleton.ca
Note: Don’t forget to ‘disconnect’ from the VPN when finished to return back to your normal internet connection.
- If you get the following message on connection, verify that your Account Name (MC1@cunet) and Password (MC1) were correctly entered in steps 5 and 6.
Was this page helpful?
331 people found this useful