Before you travel

  • Finalize your field safety plan and send it to the Northern Research Committee Chair.
  • If you have large out-of-pocket expenses (e.g., a plane ticket), you may apply for a travel advance through the Carleton travel and expense reimbursement web site (follow the steps below for a travel expense claim, but complete a travel advance instead).

After you travel

  • If you have personally incurred travel expenses, you will need to complete the following steps.  If your supervisor incurred these expenses, they will follow these steps.
  • First, get an account on the Carleton travel and expense reimbursement system (, if you don’t already have one. Be sure to specify your thesis supervisor as your ‘supervisor’ in the travel system.
  • Then, send the Northern Research Committee Chair an email with your student number to request access to the NSTP fund 301000, org 370, if you have not previously submitted a claim to this fund.
  • Start a travel expense claim.
  • If you are claiming for travel in excess of your NSTP allotment, make sure that you claim only up to your allotment to fund 301000.  Your supervisor will give you another fund number for the remainder.
  • Submit the claim online.

Eligible expenses

NSTP funds are to assist in defraying the additional costs attributable to northern research projects:

  • transportation costs
  • living expenses
  • freight costs
  • interpreter fees

The following are not eligible:

  • research outside the NSTP’s geographical boundary;
  • research unrelated to your thesis;
  • student employment or field courses;
  • research that does not require a sojourn in the North;
  • travel for students to report back to communities;
  • field assistants;
  • purchase of equipment;
  • payment of salaries other than interpreter fees in the field; and,
  • for timelines beyond that which NSTP allocates according to degree program (i.e. 1 year for thesis-based undergraduate research; 2 years for thesis-based Master’s research; and 3 years for thesis-based Doctoral research).

For more information on eligible expenses, please consult the NSTP Information Manual (refer to the Guidelines section b, p. 6-7).