NPSIA-PT&D’s Foreign Language Proficiency program is tailored to the work needs and lifestyle demands of professionals from different institutional and corporate backgrounds that may be expected to communicate in a new or unfamiliar language, whether in Canada or abroad.
Registration for the April 2015 ARABIC and SPANISH programs will open in December 2014. To register you must submit both a registration form and a pre-program Foreign Language Ability Assessment Questionnaire. Click here to download the Assessment Questionnaire.
| ARABIC – PILOT
|SPANISH – PILOT
This intensive program is delivered over a 10-day period that includes a preliminary half-day language assessment, 20 hours of intensive personal / team contact training over two-weekend workshops at Carleton University and 20 hours of weekday, web and community interactive learning in Ottawa. Learners are expected to enhance their individual level of proficiency in the language while acquiring strategies for ongoing learning.
Participants will be evaluated throughout the program to appraise progress in acquiring and using the language. The program will conclude with a final assessment of ability.
Learning objectives and outcomes of the program include:
- Learn to use a foreign language for business and professional purposes.
- Effectively implement strategies for integrating foreign language use in the work place.
- Interactive practice of a foreign language in a simulated immersion environment.
- Establish a personal baseline of proficiency in a foreign language with a focus on listening, comprehension, and oral communication.
- Participation in a professional, foreign language learning community.
- Achieve certification in the use of a foreign language for professional purposes.