- What are the criteria for this award?
- Can students enrolled in a graduate program apply?
- Is this award for students with financial need?
- What documents are required for an application to be considered complete?
- Should I include my medical, disability, or accommodation documentation in my application?
- What information should be included in my personal statement?
- What format should I submit my personal statement in?
- Who can I ask to write a recommendation letter(s) for me for this award?
- Can I submit my application documents in French?
- Where do I submit my completed application?
- How many people apply to this award each year?
- What is the monetary amount of the award?
- Can I submit my application past the May 31st deadline?
- Who can I contact if I have additional questions regarding the award or the application process?
In order to be eligible for the Dr. John Davis Burton Award, applicants should be able to demonstrate the following criteria in their application:
- A significant contribution toward awareness, equity and integration of persons with disabilities;
- Some of the traits for which Dr. Burton was most noted: perseverance, dedication, and a strong sense of community spirit.
Applicants should also be enrolled as a special, part-time or full-time student in one of the four participating institutions – Carleton University, University of Ottawa, Algonquin College, and La Cité Collègiale, in good academic standing and returning to studies in the fall.
Yes. Undergraduate and graduate students can apply for the award as long as they are returning to studies at one of the participating institutions for the next academic year.
The Dr. John Davis Burton Award is not a bursary specifically for students with financial need. To be considered for the award, the applicant must be able to demonstrate their contribution and commitment toward awareness, equality, and integration of persons with disabilities within their home institution as well as the larger community.
- A completed Dr. John Davis Burton Award application form in PDF or Word format;
- A brief personal statement, in your choice of format (e.g. print, audio, video) describing how the applicant meets the award criteria;
- At least one letter of recommendation that supports the application.
Incomplete applications will not be considered by the selection committee.
All applications must be submitted in English.
No. Please do not include your personal medical or accommodation related documentation in your application. Your application should focus on demonstrating how you meet the selection criteria.
Your personal statement should highlight why you’re the best candidate for this award. Review the selection criteria carefully and think about what life experiences you have that best demonstrate how you meet the criteria.
You can include anything you deem relevant including but not limited to: lived experience, job experience, and volunteerism within your school and/or community. The selection committee wants to learn more about who you are and the work that you’ve done so far.
Applicants are welcome to submit their application in the digital format of their choice – print, audio, or video. The personal statement is exactly that – personal – so have fun with it!
Your recommendation letter(s) should show clear support of your application for this award specifically. Please be sure to choose a person who can write a letter that will speak to your experiences meeting the eligibility criteria.
Examples of acceptable references include: current or past teacher/professor, work or volunteer supervisor, colleague, friend, or family member. If you have another person who does not fit into one of the example roles, that’s ok as long as they can speak to your experiences.
You can include more than one letter of reference if you wish.
No. Please ensure your application documents are completed in or translated to English. The Dr. John Davis Burton Award is administered by Carleton University which is a English institution.
Completed applications must be submitted in full to Carleton Awards and Financial Aid, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than May 31st, 2021.
The Dr. John Davis Burton Award has a very competitive applicant pool each year. We typically receive over 50 applications each year. When completing your application, please keep in mind that meeting the criteria listed in the application is the bare minimum expectation.
The monetary amount of this award varies from year to year.
No. Late submissions will not be considered.
Please direct questions to the Paul Menton Centre, email@example.com